Just got my behind kicked by AI in 'boots on the ground' by worthington games

Started by petercooman, 20 July 2016, 03:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercooman

So, being off work from today untill monday, it's time to get some wargames in. First off the shelf was  'boots on the ground' by worthington games.

Fun little game, but often overlooked. Almost every review you will find will tell you that the game looks like crap, but is a great blast to play once you get started.

Personally i don't mind the look, has something of a 'satellite stream of operation under way' look.

Anyway, i have played this game a couple of times now, and it is brutal. Only won 1 time out of 5 or 6 plays.This time it was a close loss.  I played the 'hot LZ' mission, wich requires you to have at least 4 team members to the exit zone by turn 20. I didn't take pictures as i was playing, because i find i need to be focused, and don't stop the mission for anything.

the board:

The situation by the end of the game, just one teammember short. I could have won, but the GI that is coloured orange is wounded, and that reduces your movement by 1 square. i could have left him behind 2 turns earlier and made a dash for it, but these are marines. They don't do that  ;)

My dead pile: The leader goot killed in turn two, wich severely limited my defense (the leader gives a defensive bonus to anyone adjacent)

What killed the leader: The insurgents are driven by cards. You take your turn and then draw a card for the insurgents' AI.Then you repeat untill there are no cards left, and you check if you meet the win criteria. I drew this card on turn two, when my guys where still bunched up from landing in the middle of the board. The grenade landed on the leader and istantly killed him, and wounded a GI, the team medic and the demo expert. The demo expert died a few turns later, and would have been welcome to survive, as the squad  ran into 3 IED's along their route, adding to the misery of the unit.

I think 3 of the plays i had with these games came short by 1 turn for the marines, so it is very good at offerring cliffhangers  ;D

Great little game that does not take up a lot of space, and can be set up and completed in about an hour (if you keep the counters organised while storing them)
Can  Definately recommend it to anyone interested in a quick solo or co-op game of modern urban warfare!

Next up this evening (propably):  Saalfend by desicion games:

d_Guy

Peter,
Thanks for this report. Have looked at this over at the Geek a couple times for its solo play possibility and now think you have convinced me.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

petercooman

Yes, works good for solo! But kicks your *ss regularely!

Just make sure you get the second printrun if you can! Some of the first printruns are known to have a printing error in the counters. (So i heard, i have a first print and it's fine)

Shedman

Ithoriel

For sale at Miniature Market for $17 plus $11.10 postage to the UK

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/wog056.html

Just ordered it. 13 in stock at time of writing.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

d_Guy

Ditto - just ordered. Never used these guys but seem reputable. Also the picture, at least, shows 2nd edition so hopefully the printing issues Peter mentioned are eliminated. Incidently Amazon.com has it at ~ 28$. Not sure what's going on at Amazon.uk.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

petercooman

Quote from: d_Guy on 20 July 2016, 04:55:02 PM
Ditto - just ordered. Never used these guys but seem reputable. Also the picture, at least, shows 2nd edition so hopefully the printing issues Peter mentioned are eliminated. Incidently Amazon.com has it at ~ 28$. Not sure what's going on at Amazon.uk.

Probably stock differences, and put the price that high so nobody would buy them :)

So i see i got a few of you warm to it  :-\

Might do another mission this evening instead of saalfeld.Problem is i can't do much piccies until i clean out my photobucket.

Shedman

Techno

Quote from: d_Guy on 20 July 2016, 04:55:02 PM

Some sellers in the UK, Seem to think they can ask really stupid prices if items are hard to find, out of print, or out of production.

I was after the full box set of a radio show called 'Old Harry's game'.....At the time, there was one for sale....At over £1,000.....I passed.  ;)
(It's now at the slightly more realistic price of £118.....I'll wait a while longer.  ;D ;D ;D)

At roughly the same time, I picked up a virtually new audio 'book' (Len deighton - "Bomber"....Radio Dramatization) from the local village market for £5.
There was one available on Amazon UK at the same time. The seller wanted something around £250.

Again, that's available for a much more sensible price now. £16, new.

Cheers - Phil

petercooman

Quote from: Techno on 20 July 2016, 07:16:38 PM

I was after the full box set of a radio show called 'Old Harry's game'.....At the time, there was one for sale....At over £1,000.....I passed.  ;)
(It's now at the slightly more realistic price of £118.....I'll wait a while longer.  ;D ;D ;D)

I found one online for 70£ , want the link?

Techno

Very kind, Peter, but I'd better not.
Mrs T might shoot me.  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil

petercooman

Quote from: Techno on 20 July 2016, 09:31:56 PM
Very kind, Peter, but I'd better not.
Mrs T might shoot me.  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil

Shooting you means you have time to listen to them while you wait in casualty...