TANKS by Gale Force Nine - replay

Started by Norm, 02 August 2016, 09:54:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

TANKS by Gale Force Nine, is a fun, tank only game played in a 3' x 3' space. The base game provides three fast build 15mm kits.

I have been playing the game on my hex terrain, but the AAR and system notes still fundamentally describe the game from the perspective of its intended design.

As I am now 'blogless' the file is a download, available from my COMMANDERS web page. I am hoping this format works for people who used to follow te blog.

Link Here http://commanders.simdif.com/battle-reports.html

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

It is fun. Watched several games, and bought a copy.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Ithoriel

All I get from dropbox is a spinning blue circle so can't see the AAR.  :(

I've seen the game (and it's expansions - this way madness lies!) advertised but it seems a bizarre concept to me. Pure tank vs tank warfare being almost unheard of and counter to the doctrine of the armies involved. Am I missing something or is it just one of these games that's loads of fun but no more rooted in reality than elves and dragons?

I guess maybe I needed to see the AAR! :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

petercooman

Looks great!

Didn't read the entire thing, but skimmed through it, will have a proper read tonight when i have the time!

Norm

Yes - fun. It can be thought of as zooming in to just cat and mouse antics between tanks with all other support elements ignored. If you want accurate simulation, then there are tons of other systems doing that. This is just doing something different and will appeal to gamers who play infantry and never get as far as bringing armour into the game because it feels too complicated.

At the cynical level, the company want you to cleft some tanks and then have enough of a springboard to move across to Flames of war.

Ithoriel

Quote from: Norm on 02 August 2016, 02:08:32 PM
Yes - fun. It can be thought of as zooming in to just cat and mouse antics between tanks with all other support elements ignored. If you want accurate simulation, then there are tons of other systems doing that. This is just doing something different and will appeal to gamers who play infantry and never get as far as bringing armour into the game because it feels too complicated.

At the cynical level, the company want you to cleft some tanks and then have enough of a springboard to move across to Flames of war.

Ah! Elves, dragons and marketing then. I've no problem with that so long as it's fun :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Nosher

Utter pish. You may as well revert to childhood and roll marbles at your airfix kits.

Designed by amoeba games.

I'm all for simple games and anything that brings new blood into the hobby but this is simply a marketing ploy to bring in dough for a failing company.
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

petercooman

Quote from: Nosher on 02 August 2016, 04:48:16 PM
Utter pish. You may as well revert to childhood and roll marbles at your airfix kits.

Designed by amoeba games.

I'm all for simple games and anything that brings new blood into the hobby but this is simply a marketing ploy to bring in dough for a failing company.

That's a bit harsh  :-\

Sometimes it is good to have a fun game when time is limited, instead of no game at all!

Norm

02 August 2016, 06:32:41 PM #8 Last Edit: 02 August 2016, 06:35:01 PM by Norm
It is not utter Pish (to me at least) if I like it, or we get a good few fun face to face game out of it in an evening.

On those days that I want something more demanding, I have other systems that can do that, though I generally spend a couple of days getting back into these rules first.

Tawa

Quote from: Nosher on 02 August 2016, 04:48:16 PMI'm all for simple games and anything that brings new blood into the hobby but this is simply a marketing ploy to bring in dough for a failing company.

Battlefront or GF9?
Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

petercooman

Quote from: Tawa on 06 August 2016, 05:28:07 PM

Battlefront or GF9?

They are one and the same i think:

" GF9 is located in Earlysville, Virginia. Gale Force Nine is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Battlefront Group."