Borgward IV?

Started by SV52, 14 June 2016, 09:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SV52

Too lazy to search - anyone recognize a suitable conversion candidate for these things (jerry cans give size)?

Schwerer Ladungsträger Borgward B IV, R/c demolitions vehicle used by the Panzer Funklenk companies in association with a Stug III or Tiger I

"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Ithoriel

I presume GR241 (World War II German range) Goliath (Sdkfz 302) tracked mine team (x3) is no good?

If that's so, perhaps SV71, the T-20 Komsomelets tractor might be around the right size? Depends how accurate you need it to be.

One of the carriers or tankettes would be my next thought.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

SV52

15 June 2016, 09:40:48 AM #2 Last Edit: 15 June 2016, 09:42:24 AM by SV52
Quote from: Ithoriel on 15 June 2016, 12:38:15 AM
I presume GR241 (World War II German range) Goliath (Sdkfz 302) tracked mine team (x3) is no good?

If that's so, perhaps SV71, the T-20 Komsomelets tractor might be around the right size? Depends how accurate you need it to be.

One of the carriers or tankettes would be my next thought.

The Goliath is too small, T-20 pretty good as it hasn't got much of a superstructure to mess with. A definite possibility, many thanks  :-\

Unless of course Leon would like to organize some sculpts? :d

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Techno

Mr Ignorant writes.....

What was that wee 'tank' for ?
I see SV 52 has mentioned 'demolitions'.....But it looks like there could have only been  a driver.....So what did it 'demolish'..It looks too small to do anything.

Cheers - Puzzled of Wales.

Ithoriel

The Goliath was basically a wire-guided bomb on tracks. If it made it to the target without getting blown up/ breaking down/ getting stuck it exploded, destroying itself and the target (hopefully).

The Borgward was a radio controlled bomb delivery system. A soldier drove it to the front then radio control was used to send it out into a minefield or up to a bunker, or whatever, where it dropped the explosive charge it carried and then retired to it's controller (hopefully). The vehicle was intended to survive.

Neither was terribly effective. I am reminded of George Dubya's "two-million-dollar missiles" and "ten-dollar empty tent" :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

Thanks, Mike.  :)

Cheers - Mr Notso-Puzzled of Wales.

SV52

There was also a middle-sized one, 'Mittlerer Ladungsträger Springer, Sd.Kfz. 304' which looks like the tracked hind part of a Kettenkrad. Come to think of it, this could be the answer, mod Kettenkrads. This one could be wire-guided like the Goliath Sdkfz 302 or R/c. Charge of 700-odd pounds as opposed to the Borgward's 900-odd. Stumbled across this:

Fernlenk Pz Abt 301, Italy '44:
2xPzKpfw. III M
12xStug III
24xBorgward IV
2xSdkfz 251/1

sPzAbt 508's third company was slated to have 14 Tiger Is and 30+ Borgward Sdkfz 301.  These units must have had quite a transport 'tail' but I can't find a TOE, except this one - how's your Russian?  :D:

http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=357943pzabt300mitpanzeranzahl.jpg

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!