first game with my fully painted d&d set!

Started by petercooman, 22 May 2016, 02:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercooman

Posted this on Boardgamegeek, but might as well post it here too:

Played The 'impossible' adventure from the adventure book. (mission is to find  3 of the bossmonsters and kill them, with each hero coming in separately)

After rolling up my order of play, and drawing starting treasures for all heroes, i started the game with the ranger.

All the bad guys were ready to be thrown into the fray :zombie:

Note: I have changed the kobolds with the cultists from wrath of ashardalon. They fit the theme better!

Alissa's first turn was rather bad:

i decided to go explore somewhere else and flip the daily to avoid damage, but was promptly punished for that decision :D

2nd tile and already encountered one of strahd's gribblies, the zombie dragon.

I duelled a bit with the dragon, and kept exploring , killed 2 monsters and did 4 damage to the dragon. When i was about to be eaten, i got a lucky draw of the encounter deck and escaped judgement for a while:

I put myself on the board as far away from the dragon as i could, and dispatched the Ghoul, and encountered another blazing skeleton while exploring.
I kept my distance, but was caught by surprise by an ambush

Alissa out with a total of 3 monster kills and 4 damage to the dragon! Hoping the next hero would have more luck, i brought in thorgrim the cleric:

His first action was to shoot the dragon in the back :arrrh:

And then promptly walk into a trap :shake:

I avoided the worst and explored a bit, while shooting lances of faith at the dragon. But then i got attacked by a wolf, slowing me and puting me in a bad spot:

So i held tight for a turn , and let both the dragon and the wolf get to me, so i could finish both off in the next hero phase:

This  gave me a ring of regeneration as a treasure, wich was a godsend in the rest of thorgrim's romp through the dungeon!

Only once was he in a bit of trouble before he found the howling hag, and then he was saved by a teleport glyph:

He discovered a fair it of dungeon before he faced the howling hag, using his healing strike and ring of regeneration to keep his health up

But while duelling with the hag, i started losing health, as the ring doesn't work when fighting villains (you only get your health point back when they die, not when you damage them)

So i took a gamble, and explored a tile, hoping for a simple monster to 'drain' some hp from.(i was down to three)

I found a skeleton, who would have done the trick, but then got a bad encounter doing 2 damage, wich hit me, as well as the skeleton.

Thorgrim out, but with an impresive 15 monster kills, 2/4th of  zombie dragon damage done and damaging the hag, a job well done!

Next up was the mage, Immeril

He jumped into the fray and immediately shot a lightning bolt at both the skeleton and the hag.

HE kept her running back and forth for a while, but was slowly taking damage:

In the end he was keeping his distance, steadily  pinging hp of the hag, when he draw an encounter that let the hag move twice. Being on his last hit point, this meant she got close enough for an attack.

Immeril out, but he did 7 damage to the hag, and killed 3 monsters. That was ok, given his low hp count.

Next up, arjhan the dragonborn fighter.

He immediately made short work of the hag, and set about exploring, and came upon a werewolf:

5the werewolf was not what i hoped for, with his regenaration, he can be impossible to kill

I got him to 1 HP, but he regenerated over and over again, getting higher every time i missed my attacks.

But then, when it started to look hopeless, i drew an environment encounter that made all rolls of 17-20 critical hits.

With the werewolf being adjacent to me and at 3 hp's, i decided to attack and then throw a firebreathing potion at him (wich does not count as an attack, so i can do this togheter with my attack). Rolling a 17 followed by an 18, i managed to kill him and win the game!

All in all good  fun, and happy to have won!

Subedai

Looks like fun. Like the layout and the cards.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

petercooman

Yeah they are great games! Good for an evening that needs to be filled  :D

Techno

Steve J

Ah, that brings back many happy memories :)

Bodvoc

Great stuff, I also like how well your basing on the figures matches the tiles. :)
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

petercooman

Quote from: Bodvoc on 22 May 2016, 06:50:28 PM
Great stuff, I also like how well your basing on the figures matches the tiles. :)

Thanks! I tried to make it as neutral as possible, so it works on the dungeon tiles and on the cavern tiles. Can also use them for 'a song of blades and heroes' too!

Quote from: Steve J on 22 May 2016, 04:52:14 PM
Ah, that brings back many happy memories :)

Did you play a lot of d&d in the past? If so, the new edition is great!! I love it 100%, not too fiddly and really plays fluently!