Thatch

Started by fsn, 02 May 2016, 11:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Yes indeed, that thatch does look good.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

Quote from: fred. on 08 May 2016, 10:02:01 AM
I like those.

Are the coloured panels historical or conjectural?

Little of both. I was watching a Time Team program when they said they suggested that these panels would have been brightly coloured in the Saxon times. Standing crosses, churches etc were all riotously colored, so why not houses?

They are just coloured as my fancy took. I have no idea what would have been real, but then again, I suggest probably nobody does. 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Looks good to me.

Good sized village too.

I'm guessing red and green are a good choice as they are readily available as natural pigments. Yellow perhaps not so much, a light ochre might be more realistic. However, as you say, who knows for sure. Not even I was there at the time, ancient though I am :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

I like those, too !

Great job, Nobby.  8)

Cheers - Phil

fsn

Perhaps the yellow is a bit bright, though there are a number of natural yellow dyes. This is a yellow from chamomile

Perhaps I should ask Techno if he can remember the way it was?

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

FierceKitty

Mondrianville!  :P
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

Quote from: fsn on 08 May 2016, 11:09:19 AM
Perhaps I should ask Techno if he can remember the way it was?

The rushes were bright pink, when I were a lad..
(Or was that caused by the effect of those pretty mushrooms we used to put in the food, back then ?)  :P

Cheers - Phil

Tawa

I was rather apprehensive about opening this thread considering the title.......
Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

Leman

You shocking man! My first thought was my baldy head.

Orcs

They look great Nobby.

As for the colours several of us went to a talk by Angus Mc Bride (osprey Illustrator)  at the museum in St Albans and he had done lots of research into ancient Roman architecture and believed most villas they were all plastered externally and painted.

Also the team constructing Guédelon Castle believe that castles were highly decorated inside and often painted white outside. So I cannot see why you may not be correct in your supposition that they wee painted.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

fsn

My thanks Orcs.

Leman

Conwy Castle was originally whitewashed and I remember reading several years back that it is believed that Hadrian's Wall was whitewashed and the mortar lines picked out in red. I've never seen that in a display game!

Womble67

They look good

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

I thought the idea of painting the beautiful, clean structure of Gothic architecture was repulsive until I actually saw some surviving examples and discovered that it added to the effect rather than distracting from it. Sometimes it's fun to find one was wrong.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

barbarian

Even the beautiful Roman buildings and rather shockingly for us, statues were painted.
I think we are just used to the all white effect, but I think it would have look more like an Hindu temple ate the time.

From https://moco-choco.com/2014/04/18/true-colors-of-ancient-greek-and-roman-statues/

2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!