19th Century Austrian band!

Started by Leon, 26 April 2016, 01:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Quote from: cameronian on 26 April 2016, 03:47:22 PM
Don't recall ever seeing Austrian musicians of this period with the jingling jonnie.

I'm sorry, but it does sound as if they need to see the MO.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mollinary

Quote from: fsn on 26 April 2016, 06:43:42 PM
I'm sorry, but it does sound as if they need to see the MO.

It was the Prussians who needed to see the MO - the JJ, known as the "Schellenbaum", was carried by some of their bands.  For those sad enough to be interested, I can recommend "Military Music in the Campaign of 1866" by Robert Mantle, published by Helion, a slim but fascinating volume. Regarding the JJ's musical role, I quote "It had no musical role and was always carried by the tallest soldier in the regiment"!

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Leman

And there's me thinking a jingling jonnie was something Crusader knights took along with them. (for those crusader nights)
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

The Brunswickers used one too.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

It does seem a very germanic instrument. Perhaps the Austrians had a zither instead.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

mollinary

Quote from: Leman on 26 April 2016, 07:50:20 PM
It does seem a very germanic instrument. Perhaps the Austrians had a zither instead.

Only in the sewers!

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Dundedumdedum-dede-dumdedumdedum-deedee...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

Quote from: mad lemmey on 26 April 2016, 08:17:06 PM
Dundedumdedum-dede-dumdedumdedum-deedee...

The Swiss didn't actually invent the cuckoo clock, nor were they the peace-loving Arcadians that Harry claims. It's a super ad-lib (and a doubleplussuper movie), but I wish it were more accurate for those few seconds.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

d_Guy

Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Chad

I imagine there will now be endless discussions on TMP about the effective range of trumpets and trombones and whether they were smooth bore or rifled! I can now see endless rule supplements about their formations, etc, etc.  🤔

FierceKitty

An ingenious, unarmed SYW musician apparently once frightened off a Cossack by aiming his oboe at the irregular threateningly.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

If anyone quotes from 'The Secret Policeman's Ball'.....I will be very cross.  :P

Cheers - Phil

BucketKnight

These look nice. Might be fun to just make a diorama with this set.

holdfast

It must also be remembered that the Austrians were quoted as saying that all it would need to conquer Bosnia was a regiment of hussars and a couple of bands.  So the Bosnia campaign awaits. Except that it took rather more than that in reality.

Westmarcher

Quote from: cameronian on 26 April 2016, 03:47:22 PM
Don't recall ever seeing Austrian musicians of this period with the jingling jonnie.

Didn't realise you were that old.   :P

Could try Techno. Wasn't he around during that era also?   :-\
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.