Things you should remember when painting 10mm

Started by Aksu, 06 March 2016, 03:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercooman

Quote from: Zippee on 06 March 2016, 09:31:15 PM
Crikey, your chaps must be made of stern stuff. All too often I view mine head on as they make a dash for the rear.

We refer to that as the 'tactical withdrawal'  ;D

BucketKnight

Thanks for the fun read and the sensible advice.

FierceKitty

Quote from: Just a few Orcs on 06 March 2016, 03:54:26 PM
Encourage your S.O to go out for the day to visit friends . That way you can paint all day without interruption.

No, get her/him to help.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Wulf

Quote from: Subedai on 06 March 2016, 04:44:01 PM
-In the great scheme of things, smaller scales are not really any less expensive unless you only play skirmish games. Once you start on a period the megalomaniac in you comes to the fore and is like a runaway train.
Skirmish scale is not only cheaper, you don't have to paint as many figures...

...but you need a lot more terrain!

However, many bgits of terrain can be reused for various periods. Everything from Science Fiction, to Modern, to WWII, to Ancients, to dinosaurs use hills, trees & bushes...

DaveH

Good advice and one bit I want to add.

Have a plan and stick to it rather than jumping around between projects.

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

Quote from: DaveH on 01 May 2016, 11:02:59 AM
Have a plan and stick to it rather than jumping around between projects.

"Have a plan ... " Yes. Got that. Excel spreadsheet with timescales and costs and everything.

"... and stick to it ..." What, even when Pendraken release a new range?

"... rather than jumping around between projects."

Nope. You've lost me.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

fsn

I'm sure if I could go into a room where I'm free from new Pendraken goodies, catchy films, books and ... who am I kidding?

I have late Normans, WWI aircraft and chuff-chuff trains on my painting table at the moment.

And I'm thinking about the Battle of Wake Island, and Robert Taylor in "Bataan".

And why it is that Anne Hathaway still hasn't rung my doorbell.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Fenton

Quote from: fsn on 01 May 2016, 01:09:00 PM

Maybe she is still looking for your bell pull
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Ithoriel

I have one outstanding painting project ... 6mm Sumerians and 1:2400 Armada period ... I have two outstanding painting projects ... 6mm Sumerians, 1:2400 Armada period and 10mm WW2 Germans ... I have THREE outstanding painting projects ... 6mm Sumerians, 1:2400 Armada period, 10mm WW2 Germans and 28mm scale Gladiators ... My FOUR ... no ... AMONGST my outstanding painting projects  .... Amongst my outstanding painting projects ... are such projects as 6mm Sumerians and 1:2400 Armada period ... I'll come in again.

It's just a hobby ... I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition! :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

d_Guy

I am waiting for several things to go ahead and finish the paint job without my involvement. It could happen. Some sudden local decrease in entropy - a bored troop of Brownies (either type would work) passing through - perhaps a spell of animation can be cast so they will paint each other. I have even thought of putting several small pans of paint and a 1870 French Chassuer battalion in a sealed box and shaking them up* - There is a chance (slim but a chance) if I open the box they will be correctly painted. Or I might never open the box and just ASSUME they are done. This may only work at the quantum level but if I never open the box...

*this would involve my agency however - something I wish to avoid!
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

PB

Embrace fickleness. I currently have AWI, WSS, modern and Pacific ww2 in various states of completion in an area about a foot square.

Orcs

Quote from: fsn on 01 May 2016, 01:09:00 PM

My Nephews wife (Niece?) was in the film "Les Miserables" while they were filming she was suffering from really bad morning sickness and Anne Hathaway insisted on looking after her , making sure she was ok and getting her bottles of water.

So she is very nice.

But sorry Nobby, if I can get her to ring anyone's  "doorbell"  it will be mine   ;)

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leman

Well, currently I have 2mm terrain, 10mm SYW Prussians, 6mm ACW Union cavalry and 28mm ECW cavalry sat on my painting desk.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!