Napoleonic Austrian/Hungarians

Started by kev1964, 02 March 2016, 11:09:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zippee

Superb as ever  :-bd

Trouble is you post this just as I'm finishing my Austrians up, well I felt good about them for a day or two beforehand  :'(

Westmarcher

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Redstef

I'm still resisting starting Napoleonics in 10mm....but you sure aint making it easy dammit. superb stuff again
"From each according to ability, to each according to need" Karl Marx.............I really need those figures

2015 Painting Competition - People's Choice!
2016 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 4 x Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner, 1 x Runner-Up!

Mostyn

They are fantastic. What base size are you using for the single infantry and cavalry? I'm toying with a couple of figures based for skirmish games and the proportions on yours work very well (overlooking the dodgy painting of course ;)).
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

kev1964

Thank's chaps.  The foot are on 10x10 and mounted are 20x10 Mostyn.

kev
2013 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Zippee

Actually we keep praising when we should be helping Kev to raise the bar, for instance:
why no lace on the grenadier bearskin patches?
why no lace trim on cavalry valises?
why no multiple lace panels and embroidery on shabraques?
why do the uhlan pennons not have the second thin yellow on black stripe? (yes I know it's a variant but that's our excuse not Kev's  :D)

Oh and surely the Hungarian Blue is too light, most illustrations show it considerably darker - it surprised me when I checked for my own painting as I was going to go with a similar pale colour.

And lastly Austrian guns had all black fittings - no bronze barrels  :-\

None of which takes away from the [depressingly] high quality of the workmanship you understand  8)

All meant in good spirit of course but let's see if we can't improve Kev's school report a bit  :D

kev1964

Thank you sir, the fittings on the guns are black with bare steel ware and tear showing through  ;D ;D, i have no excuse for the barrels and other mistakes though  ;D.
I promise to try harder on my next efforts  ;D.

kev
2013 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Yes.....You should try a lot harder !  ;)

Cheers - Mr Jealous.  :P

Zippee

Good show, we'll be keeping score for the sidelines  ;D

Leon

In fairness to Kev, we didn't ask for complete historical accuracy on these, we just wanted an excellent paintjob that shows off the figure as best it can.  Researching some of the finer details can take longer than the painting does, so as long as the basics are right, the French are in blue, Brits are in red, etc then that's fine with us.  Getting a shade of blue which can survive being photo'd, edited and then displayed accurately on a website photo will always be difficult!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Ithoriel

In fairness to Kev, I don't think any of us are seriously suggesting these are anything other than brilliant :)

Lets face it, old fogeys though some of us are, none of us is old enough to be able to swear the Austrians never fielded a gun with a brass barrel whatever the regulations may have said!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Zippee

I was being very tongue in cheek - I'd hoped that was obvious!  :O)

And I completely agree that getting the basic impression correct is the important bit and no-one's going to argue over the quality  :'(

Having just finished up (well all but the final highlights but I have to down tools and sit with the family from 20:00) two regiments of Austrian uhlans I'm even more impressed with Kev's results - those czapkas are a right bu**er. The horizontal lance pose is fine but the vertical! Crikey it's confusing!  :o