The Last Great Cavalry Charge

Started by Leman, 24 October 2015, 01:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

This is by way of a heads up rather than a review.

The Last Great Cavalry Charge - The Battle of the Silver Helmets, Halen 12 August 1914, by Joe Robinson, Francis Hendriks and Janet Robinson

I received my copy this morning from Amazon, despite having only ordered it yesterday. I have had a quick flick through and found there is a map for each of the 8 German cavalry charges, plus other maps, how the battle came to take place and a good 3 dozen b/w photos of Belgian and German troops and the battlefield. I have heard a lot about this battle but am really pleased to have found a book about it.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

pierre the shy

Quote from: Leman on 24 October 2015, 01:07:00 PM
This is by way of a heads up rather than a review.
javascript:void(0);
The Last Great Cavalry Charge - The Battle of the Silver Helmets, Halen 12 August 1914, by Joe Robinson, Francis Hendriks and Janet Robinson

I received my copy this morning from Amazon, despite having only ordered it yesterday. I have had a quick flick through and found there is a map for each of the 8 German cavalry charges, plus other maps, how the battle came to take place and a good 3 dozen b/w photos of Belgian and German troops and the battlefield. I have heard a lot about this battle but am really pleased to have found a book about it.

I picked up a copy in Foyles when I was in London earlier this year.

Its a great book, but the editing leaves something to be desired, I think it mentions in the chapter on the OOB that each brigade of the Belgian Cavalry Division had an attached MG section three times in as many pages.

Its what I am basing my take of the refight of the battle on.....WHEN I eventually get the Belgian figures.....got too many other things on my plate at the moment to start right now though  O:-)

Written up some Divisional HQ level house rules for ITLSU and going to try them next weekend to fight Falen Furball, using BEF equivalents for the Belgians. Got everything I need for the German Cavalry Division  8)
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Leman

Be very interested to read an AAR of that.

cameronian

Wasn't there a huge cavalry charge in the SCW ?
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Chris Pringle

And there was "l'ultima carica" in 1942, by the Italian Savoia dragoons at Izbushenskij. Not quite on the same scale as the one in the Silver Helmets book, though, I suppose. But it made for a good wargame (with KGC rules, not BBB):
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/lultima-carica-last-cavalry-charge-in.html

Chris
Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.co.uk/

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Well as it's the Battle of Halen I'm interested in I'm not overly concerned about the book title. After all what about the British 9th Lancers et al later in the same month, cavalry on the Eastern Front and Allenby in the Middle East.