Just been given a dremel by the old man!

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 05 October 2015, 06:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Quote from: WeeWars on 06 October 2015, 11:31:56 AM
That's the problem I'd like to solve: how to keep 10mm figs steady and at the correct angle when coming into contact with a bit rotating at 10,000 RPM.

I'll try and get Mrs T to take a photo of how I do this. (It's just a matter of having as much control over the Dremmel AND the model as you can.)
It's basically keeping the figure as still as possible, and just moving the Dremmel in 'short bursts'.
Cheers - Phil.

WeeWars

06 October 2015, 12:31:24 PM #16 Last Edit: 06 October 2015, 12:33:36 PM by WeeWars
Quote from: Techno on 06 October 2015, 12:17:20 PM
I'll try and get Mrs T to take a photo of how I do this.

Or, perhaps, an opportunity for a new YouTube Video Channel.
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Fenton

Quote from: WeeWars on 06 October 2015, 12:31:24 PM
Or, perhaps, an opportunity for a new YouTube Video Channel.

If Phil is involved and the injuries involved it might need to be rated 18
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Wales Dremmel Massacre methinks ??  ;D

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

06 October 2015, 07:13:01 PM #19 Last Edit: 06 October 2015, 07:47:46 PM by Techno

These aren't particularly good pics.....I'll try and get some clearer ones done tomorrow.

Anyway.....Top photo...

You should hopefully be able to see that I've stuck the figure to a cork.
Much easier to hold onto a cork than a little figure.
I'm 'clamping' the cork to the cutting mat, with the thumb and index finger of my left hand...The middle finger is stopping the cork from rolling (which you won't be able to see  :P).....The cork can't move anywhere unless I want it to...and it's lovely and 'still'.

Right hand, holding the Dremmel between the thumb and index finger..middle finger underneath the Dremmel...Edge of right hand third and fourth fingers resting on the cutting mat.
Like this, I've got just about total control of the Dremmel and the figure, (said he  ;D) as both hands and some of my digits are resting on the cutting mat....I can use a very light touch with the Dremmel with my hands in these positions.

Second photo.

Here, there's more of an angle involved in using the drill.....The figure's not flat on the tabletop but I still need to have as much control as possible.

The edge of my hands are still in contact with the surface of the table, but to give extra 'stability' with the cork at this angle, I've got my left thumb in contact with the third and fourth fingers of my right hand. 'Locking' your hands together in this way gives you more control.
The Dremmel (and the model) are far less likely to wobble about.....Which is one of the biggest problems I imagine some of you are having.

Hope this makes some sort of sense !

I'll come back and edit it again if need be.....It's a swine not being able to use the preview button.....Still !  ;)

Cheers - Phil

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Subedai

Those pictures made me shudder. a sharp ended, rotating metal object in close proximity to flesh.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Fenton

fsn

It's amazing you whittled that figure from a cork!

Also ... did you used to advertise Mild Green Fairy Liquid?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Quote from: ianrs54 on 06 October 2015, 07:18:16 PM
Washing very very hot water, IanS

Sorry Ian....I've taken the reference about shrinking things out. (That's just so folk know what your post refers to. ;))

Quote from: Fenton on 06 October 2015, 07:21:09 PM
You've got very long thumbs Phil

I think all of my digits are on the long side, Steve.....But you're right with your other post.....Mrs T took these for me while the drill was off...But this is exactly how I use it when it's whizzing round.

Quote from: Subedai on 06 October 2015, 07:24:27 PM
Those pictures made me shudder. a sharp ended, rotating metal object in close proximity to flesh.

Noooooo.....I'm in complete control !  =O
Seriously....When I'm using the Dremmel like this, I use so little pressure, the risk of slipping is absolutely minimal.

Quote from: fsn on 06 October 2015, 07:39:34 PM
It's amazing you whittled that figure from a cork!
Also ... did you used to advertise Mild Green Fairy Liquid?

OIK !....You know Leon won't let me use cork to make a model,  'cos cork flattens when Dave presses it in the mould.
....and regarding your second point, Nobby.....Well...I do all the dishes, but they've never contacted me to do the ads.

Cheers - "Bubbles"

Subedai

Quote from: ianrs54 on 06 October 2015, 08:20:09 PM
Thought only coknees  supported theee 'ammers.....

IanS

And some Essexites, Essexen...people from Essex and now Kent.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

WeeWars

Quote from: Techno on 06 October 2015, 07:13:01 PM

The Dremmel (and the model) are far less likely to wobble about.....Which is one of the biggest problems I imagine some of you are having.

Those are good tips for steading everything. I was wondering how to make the miniature immobile - perhaps without needing to mix up a batch of greenstuff? Glues don't seem to be strong enough. Clamps damage the teeny figures. I haven't tried a bed of Instant Mold but that might be an idea and better than a bed of Blu-Tack.
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

As I've always got wodges of Green Stuff, that's why I tend to use that, Michael. ;)

Although it doesn't make the figures as secure as GS.....You might try 'Black Tak' instead of Blu Tak ?
That would work reasonably well. (Certainly better than Blu Tak, anyway).....But not as good as GS.

Cheers - Phil