Just been given a dremel by the old man!

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 05 October 2015, 06:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Right chaps...
For my Bathday, the old man has just sent me a 7100 Dremel and extra bits.
Any idea how to (safely) use one? What should I do first? Should I upgrade my life insurance now?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Don't ask that Lewis fellar .

Sure you are allowed to operate powered machinery ??

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Subedai

I was given one of the cordless types a few years ago. I find it extremely useful for chamfering the edges of thick card terrain bases and drilling small pilot holes for curtain wires hooks. It was once used for fast-filing the chain armour off of a 25mm figure. I still have to find a use for one for 10mm or smaller figures so apart from that it has stayed in the box.  
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Norm

Nice gift. I use a third party one. Start off with the lowest speed setting.

i had a few tanks and the hole where the turret goes was not deep enough to allow the turret just to drop in, so I drilled out a bit deeper. I have also used it for drilling into wooden bases when making scenery such as fencing. I have also used a cutting wheel / disc.

i wear glasses and if I didn't, I would probably wear safety goggles just to stop anything flying towards the eyes.

Techno

Quote from: mad lemmey on 05 October 2015, 06:23:47 PM
Any idea how to (safely) use one?

Don't ask me !  :P (Thank you, Ian  ;))

Seriously tho', Will.  ;)
Probably the worst that you can do with a Dremmel is 'burr' down a figure and send a sliver of metal into your eye.
If I didn't wear both glasses and the optivisor.....
When using the metal burrs (especially tungsten carbide ones, 'cos they EAT through the metal and send tiny metal shards everywhere)....I'd definitely use a pair of safety goggles.

That'd be my biggest recommendation.

Don't 'force' the Dremmel to do the work by pressing too hard....You're far more likely to slip and send some burr or bit into your free hand/fingers doing that. (And muck up what you're trying to do.)

Use a relatively light touch....It's 'safer', and you'll be less likely to clog the burr with metal from the friction.....Let the Dremmel do the work,

Hope that makes sense !

(Happy Birthday !  :))

Cheers - Phil

jimduncanuk

Quote from: mad lemmey on 05 October 2015, 06:23:47 PM
Right chaps...
For my Bathday, the old man has just sent me a 7100 Dremel and extra bits.
Any idea how to (safely) use one? What should I do first? Should I upgrade my life insurance now?
Count your fingers before you start, do a job with it, count your figures again, any mismatch in results will imply you are doing it wrong.

Honestly, be 'bl**dy' careful with it.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Aksu

My biggest scares have been with the cut off wheel (disk) type bits. They can shatter quite catastrophically.
Eye protection is a Very Good Idea. Anyway, I've used the dremel more with terrain projects, less so with figs or models.
Cheers,
Aksu

Leon

We've got one in the unit we use for a few things and I'd echo the 'not too much pressure' from above.  I've broken loads of drill bits just by pushing on it too much and it snapping.  You then get a chunk of drill bit heading off into the unknown and jagged stump heading for your hand.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno

Quote from: Aksu on 05 October 2015, 07:41:58 PM
My biggest scares have been with the cut off wheel (disk) type bits. They can shatter quite catastrophically.

Good point, Aksu !
The carborundum discs are very prone to shattering, especially if you're trying to grind through anything and you don't keep the disc absolutely straight.
The slightest sideways pressure on those and they're in bits.

Have to admit, I tend to use those discs as big, flat 'sanders', rather than cutters, nowadays. They last longer like that. ;)

Cheers - Phil

Fenton

We got the click in system and a diamond edge cutter thingy , much stronger  than the  original discs

http://www.dremeleurope.com/gb/en/dremel®ezspeedclicdiamondcuttingwheel-354-ocs-p/
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

fsn

I bought meself a Dremel a few months ago and it has changed my life!

Though I do need to remember not to hold very small things that I'm drilling.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

WeeWars

Fenton, your link led me initially to this man who obviously knows how to handle a Dremel in a wet environment.

← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

WeeWars

Quote from: fsn on 06 October 2015, 08:25:42 AM
Though I do need to remember not to hold very small things that I'm drilling.

That's the problem I'd like to solve: how to keep 10mm figs steady and at the correct angle when coming into contact with a bit rotating at 10,000 RPM.
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Fenton

Quote from: Fenton on 06 October 2015, 07:35:50 AM
We got the click in system and a diamond edge cutter thingy , much stronger  than the  original discs

http://www.dremeleurope.com/gb/en/dremel®ezspeedclicdiamondcuttingwheel-354-ocs-p/

Stupid tablet. Stupid copy and paste
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Fenton