Team Whiskey - WWIII Fulda Gap Campaign

Started by bigjackmac, 07 September 2015, 02:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Le Manchou

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Techno

Looking excellent, Jack.

(I'm going to have to read that one in 'bits', too !... ;D ;D ;D)
Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Another corker Jack, really thought you'd blown it until you nailed the Spatsnaz! 8)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

bigjackmac

Le Manchou - Thanks man, I appreciate it, good to 'see' you here!

Phil - Quit your belly-achin' and read faster ;)

Lemmey - Yeah man, I thought I'd lost too.  The heartbreaker was when SF Tm 1, who could have just ran off the board, decided to be heroes to help their buddies out by foregoing the move to fire on advancing enemy troops, missed, then enemy guys returned fire and (against very steep odds) wiped them out.  I was not a happy camper.  And then SF Tm 2 kept getting pushed back by enemy fire, and I thought they'd actually get pushed off the map and I'd win, but then the other Spetznaz team ran over there, I thought it was all over.  But the dice held, certainly wasn't my tactical decision making!  ;D ;D

Thanks again fellas, hope you're enjoying them.

V/R,
Jack

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: bigjackmac on 09 September 2015, 04:32:24 PM
Meirion - Thanks, I appreciate it.  The Lego bases were an idea I stole off someone on TMP a few years ago.  Not the best looking I suppose, but they work for me.

V/R,
Jack

Maybe it's because I'm a big Lego fan - I've been using Heroica figures with my Pendraken dungeon recently - AND like that kind of solution to a 'problem', but I think they look pretty neat. 

The ability to change the foot colour makes it really useful should two forces or commands be fielding either identical or very similar looking kit.

Love the second report too, keep up the good work  :-bd

Cheers again!

Meirion
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Subedai

These are both first class AAR's in both the description and the pictures. I, like others, was itching to find out what happened to the two SF Teams in the second AAR but was determined not to peek.

Bring on the next.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Techno

bigjackmac

All,

I've got a lot going on in real life, so I'm trying something I've never done before: I'm releasing a batrep in 'installments.'  So please bear with me, this isn't permanent, but I hope it tides you over while I work on the rest.

It's 0930 on 3 August 1986, and the Soviet 8th Guards Army is taking an operational pause, i.e., going over to the defensive temporarily, due to heavy casualties laid on by 11th ACR and 3rd Armored Division.  Of course, NATO forces are fairly beaten up as well, and air superiority, upon which so much of NATO's operational plans are dependent (to have close air support and middle-interdiction to off-set the Soviet advantage in men and material).  V Corps decides to take a gamble in its sector to help get its air support back on track.

The Soviets, largely due to the traffic jam ensuing in the wake of an unplanned operational pause (and which they are working on clearing up), have wound up with considerable air defense assets pushed far forward in Team Whiskey's sector.  And so V Corps has ordered Team Whiskey to conduct a local counterattack on 8th Guards Army forces, with the primary mission to identify and destroy Soviet air defense assets in the objective area, and the secondary mission being simply to punch Soviet armored elements in the mouth to help keep them off-balance.

The opposing forces, with US on the right and Soviets on the left.  Being a counterattack, this is that rare game where the US outnumbers the Soviets.  The US has two companies of Mechanized Infantry (in Bradleys), a tank platoon (M1s), four command stands in an M-577 and M-113s, a mortar platoon of 4 x 81mm tubes, two 10th SFG teams, and an AH-64 Apache.  The Soviets have a reinforced tank platoon, eight rifle teams, four machine gun teams, four ATGMs (Spandrels), four 120mm mortars, four MANPAD SAMs, and four SA-9 Gaskin vehicle SAMs.  The Soviet infantry begins the game dug-in.

The table, with north being up, the US baseline at left (west), and the Soviet baseline at right (east).  You can see the Team Whiskey Mech Inf companies spread out at left, while the Soviets are spread across the board on the right.  The US SF teams are in the forest at top center left.

The US force is getting beat up, but punches back.  To see the whole thing, please check:
http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2015/09/team-whiskey-fulda-gap-batrep-3-part-i.html

More to come.

V/R,
Jack

Techno

That was an installment ?   :o

Can see why it takes so much time, to write these up, Jack.
Great stuff !  8)

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Feature length instalment!

But I get a tank company! Promotion! 8)

Means I'll be dead by the end of episode 2... :(
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

bigjackmac

Thanks guys.  But that's what you get for being such loyal followers of my campaigns; you're both now running companies!

And I won't make you wait, Lemmey: you and Captain "Phil'-lips both survived this encounter.  One in better shape than the other ;)

V/R,
Jack

Duke Speedy of Leighton

bigjackmac

Sorry brother.

If it makes you feel better, I'll get you killed next time ;)

V/R,
Jack

Duke Speedy of Leighton

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: mad lemmey on 16 September 2015, 09:51:01 PM
OI!

NO SPOILERS!

There's *survived* survived and then there's One by Metallica survived!

It's count the limbs sweepstake time!  :d
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )