2mm Dark Ages / Dux Bellorum

Started by O Dinas Powys, 19 August 2015, 02:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Dinas Powys

19 August 2015, 02:11:28 PM Last Edit: 19 August 2015, 02:15:22 PM by O Dinas Powys
Bought these from Irregular ages ago to use with Dux Bellorum...

Time passed with occasional dabbing, then I bought One Hour War-Games on a whim and that kicked me into action again.  I've run out of bases for the figures, but managed to get some scenic items finished apart from varnish.

First up, BG157 Roman Marching Fort and BG160 Barbarian/Native Village:

Not sure whether to add flock or not, quite like the paint effect on the grass.  Have to see how the figures go I think.

Cheers!

Meirion
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

toxicpixie

They're really nicely done!

I'd leave the grass effect, it looks cracking :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Maenoferren

Looking good, I would leave them as they are.
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Most flock would overwhelm them. Very fine sand would work, with wet green paint after the PVA dries.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leman

I wouldn't add flock, but I would do another light dry brush in a straw colour. Then again it may be that the photo is not doing that actual models justice.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Techno

Bodvoc

They look really good to me, any chance of seeing any of the figures?
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Tawa

Quote from: Bodvoc on 19 August 2015, 06:18:48 PM
They look really good to me, any chance of seeing any of the figures?

At that scale? Not likely!  ;D
Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

Subedai

Those bases are great as they are so I'd leave off the flock as well, however small the particles are they would be well over scale. Leman's idea is the one I would tend to go with but I wouldn't dry brush the whole base, just patches.  :-X
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Norm

2mm terrain is a great strength of the scale and irregular always add enough texture that just painting looks best.

Your pieces have good contrasts. If you were tempted to flock, Woodlands Scenics do a burnt grass which is like a ground down fine flock - but even that I feel would be too much.

Fenton

When I have done 2 mm terrain I would mount them on a wooden base  then sculpt some trees ( or use the Irregular loose trees) and make hedges from mosaic cement  and make a diorama base type affair
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

kodiakblair

I wouldn't flock them either,they look just grand as they are.

I bought the finest flock I could find,really just coloured dust,but I've yet to flock anything.
The decision is on stand-by and the more painted figures I do postpone it further :)

O Dinas Powys

Thanks for all the kind words guys :-[

Yeah, I think I'm going to leave them flockless for the moment and see how the figures go once I've filled the bases.

Unfortunately no more finished stuff - or photos - for the moment, yet again starting a thread has let to an overload of real-life!   :'(

I will reveal that I've decided to go for 2(-ish) blocks on a 30mm frontage for the figures, with 10, 15 and 20mm depths for shieldwall, infantry and cavalry element respectively. 40mm just left too much free space for my taste.

Anyway, holiday next week, back to school for the fortnight after that! Maybe I'll get some pictures posted by October!  :-/ :-<

Cheer,

Meirion
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )