Tank commanders

Started by fsn, 19 April 2015, 07:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

It's a lots of work for what's effectively "eye-candy."

A sprue with commander figure and two or three of the commonest hatch lid types per nation might work best?
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

getagrip

At least if you "mess up" the: "drilling into the turret" bit, you know Leon will cast you up a replacement without the need to buy a complete tank. :)
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Hertsblue

The Pendraken examples, whilst not suitable for all flavours of tank, work pretty well on the more popular ones. And, from a practical point of view, they're a good way of picking out HQ and command tanks.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Ithoriel

I put combat tanks on rectangular bases and HQ/ command ones on square bases - so much simpler than drilling turret hatches .... doesn't stop me then adding commanders to random tanks, just because ...  :o =) =) :-[
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Hertsblue

I don't base tanks. Never seen the point.

www.rulesdepot.net

Ithoriel

Quote from: Hertsblue on 21 April 2015, 10:44:38 AM
I don't base tanks. Never seen the point.

a) Using based figures and unbased vehicles together looks weird to me. It also gives me a chance to do mini-dioramas with some of the vehicles.

b) Practically, it gives you something to pick the thing up with so the paintwork doesn't get damaged.

c) You're clearly doing it wrong ;) :)

getagrip

Quote from: Ithoriel on 21 April 2015, 01:32:41 PM
a) Using based figures and unbased vehicles together looks weird to me. It also gives me a chance to do mini-dioramas with some of the vehicles.

b) Practically, it gives you something to pick the thing up with so the paintwork doesn't get damaged.

c) You're clearly doing it wrong ;) :)

a)  Agree,  :)

b)  Agree,  ;)

c)  Couldn't say. :-\
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I base them for effect (see my Falkland's kit for example).
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Hertsblue

Some things have to be based - artillery and infantry groups, for instance. Don't like it but the rules insist. But vehicles? Put them on bases and make the bases pretty, then put them on a road in sculpted terrain. Total disfunction.

Would they look more realistic on bases? I don't think so.

www.rulesdepot.net

Ithoriel

Quote from: Hertsblue on 22 April 2015, 11:34:36 AM
Would they look more realistic on bases?

"Realistic?" They're toy soldiers :)

To me they'd look more in keeping with the rest of the set-up rather than looking like someone's discarded some stuff on the table. However, personal preference unless the rules say different.

paulr

Height differences is one of the issues I have with unbased vehicles. By the time you add the figure base and the base it is on you can be adding 3-4mm to the height of a man...  YMMV
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!