Modern bush wars in 10mm

Started by Sunray, 03 February 2017, 06:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

Rumour Control has noted  that one Yorkshire based  irregular figure maker (producing a wide range of scales) has announced that they have 10mm modern bush war figures on the bench.

Hopefully the height and sculpt of these figures will compliment our Pendraken modern vehicles and the post war /modern range of figures.

Bush wars are a lot of fun with minimum fuss.  And as Peter Pig proved in 15mm, you can invent your own campaigns.  It will be interesting if these figures are specific to a nation/group , or generic enough to be used for  loads of proxy applications.  :- 

toxicpixie

Grid damnit, I have way too much in 15mm. Where was this twenty years ago!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Sunray

Tell me about it, I have a hanger full of Peter Pig/QRF gathering dust.

:- :- There could well be a market for re-cycling such unwanted whitemetal given the 20% price hike.  I must crunch a few numbers.

The hassle with 15mm was the cramped action on  the average table.   Literally no hiding place. - no flank to send the light armour down.
And the blood and guts AK47 rules reflected this mayhem.

1/150 (or 10/12mm) with BKC/CWC rules is - to my mind - the classic game with both recognisable detail and  scale.

I have taken a few 15mm buildings and altered/filled in  doors/windows- the Irregular site offer a range of architectural item - 10m doors, windows etc that when added to Pendraken dungeon doors  transforms these resin casts into half decent 10mm buildings.  :)

Sunray

Number 1 son came for Sunday lunch - I plied him with wine and my best Black Bush. (Top notch Irish whiskey) .  Bush wars in 10mm ?  He warmed to the idea.  A financial deal was struck. My tasks:

1. Scenery and era -  based loosely on late 1960s Ethiopia/Eritrea - open plains, rivers, bush country - villages scattered along highway.   Timecast Vietnam shacks fit very nicely because - traditional villages apart - the shanty towns tend to have a few brick/stone buildings - the rest are of bamboo and zinc (corrugated iron).  Timecast ordered as we speak-

2.  Kit - Pendraken T-34/85s,  jeeps, BTR152s, Ferrets, "Technicals"(scratch built), Panhard 90s, AMX 13 , Walker Bullldog and some older British A/Cs.  Need 106mm RR !  :]] :]]

3. Figures. While we await the Korean (North and South ) proxy forces .. I will scrape up an insurgent force of Viet-Cong, Viet Min,  DAK and ask Irregular Mins for a sample of their new bush babes.  The Semi Government force (SGF)will be Falklands British infantry.

4. Air power- the SGF have air superiority.  Piston engine types- Mustangs ? But a procurement team might secure a second hand Mig15....

Keep me occupied until the Koreans arrive . :'(

GrumpyOldMan

Hello  James/Sunray

Other thoughts, tribal figures etc - The WW1 Rugga Rugga

Interesting page here of photos from Ethiopia in the 50s:-

http://webodysseum.com/history/color-photos-of-life-in-ethiopia-1955/

Imperial troops maybe use WW1 Middle East:-

Maybe you can modify the marching band with Wolseleys :)

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Sunray

Many thanks Vic- what a lot of fascinating images !  Ethiopia is a complex country: its escape from colonialism (apart from a belated attempt by Italy), the Coptic Christian confession, the Monarchy.   All this is reflected in the 1960s era uniforms, and the more pragmatic 1960s field dress.   Who is the foreign soldier with the mortar ?  The grey uniform suggest Iran ?

My experience of the county was after the communist regime.  I  worked in the country in the 1980s and again in 2008. Uniforms were more conventional - indeed with a paint job, the North Korean will fit 1970s People's Militia era to a T. 

As I said, we will keep Ethiopia as inspirational - and allow a fictional bush war.  I have a company of Paratroopers on the tray, their 1970s pattern Denison smocks starting to emerge -  A some point they will be deployed on a "Wild Geese" style mission.

Thanks again

James