The Supreme Littleness Designs website is launched!

Started by WeeWars, 09 March 2015, 03:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrumpyOldMan

Hello WeeWars

Very interesting stuff. I've been looking through what's available in laser cut models from Aliexpress to see what I can use but unfortunately it's mainly 1/100 to 1/72 in size:-

The last is listed as 32cm x 22cm base size, more 1/100 than 1/144 (curses)

Some are marked as 1/144 or 1/148:-

I have the 1/148 junk in my build pile but the railings aren't as easy as your bridge, they are separate pieces that have to be cut and assembled  :o :o and the hull sides are cut using the same template (ie not reversed) so only the starboard side has any decoration  when assembled :'( :'( .

Good luck with the venture and I'll keep your site under observation when it gets going.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

WeeWars

Quote from: Le Manchou on 12 March 2015, 10:15:16 PM
Well, special buildings like the Granary at Essling, Hougoumont, etc... and a range of houses, farms and churches from Germany, Austria, Spain, Russia, Italy...

I'm already doing some of them in 10mm. We can't tempt you into 10mm Naps?  :D

I did a trial today to see what a small house might look like in 3mm. Shall keep you posted.

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 12 March 2015, 11:17:54 PM
Good luck with the venture and I'll keep your site under observation when it gets going.

Thanks! How do you feel about 10mm boats made with ultra-thin plywood wrapped around an MDF skeleton? Does that sound robust enough?
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ken

Very nice work.

I image you've got quite a list of projects, any chance some Roman and/or Celt type buildings might be on there?

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

Quote from: WeeWars on 12 March 2015, 11:41:31 PM
Thanks! How do you feel about 10mm boats made with ultra-thin plywood wrapped around an MDF skeleton? Does that sound robust enough?

That is the method they've used with the junk. The cross section ribs and internal bracing are done with 2mm and the rest with 1mm. Glued with PVA the hull was able to be cut  at the waterline without dissolving into tiny splinters (my fear at that point  X_X )

I've attached some scans from the kit as received. Sheet A and D are in 2mm. The fine parts from sheet B are meant to be for the railing and stiffeners for the material sails (also precut by laser interestingly).

(Curse this Preview button)

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

WeeWars

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 13 March 2015, 12:19:08 AM
I've attached some scans from the kit as received. Sheet A and D are in 2mm. The fine parts from sheet B are meant to be for the railing and stiffeners for the material sails (also precut by laser interestingly).

Thanks for this. I'll give it a try when the plywood arrives to see how robust it is.

WeeWars

Quote from: Ken on 13 March 2015, 12:06:07 AM
Very nice work.

I image you've got quite a list of projects, any chance some Roman and/or Celt type buildings might be on there?

Definitely Roman – they loved their straight lines! I went to a lecture on Vindolanda on Monday and was reminded that the Roman soldiers got into trouble for growing their veg on the rampart mounds of the fort. Now, that is worth modelling!

Celts, more of a problem. They did like their round houses. But last week I saw some 3D modelling of the latest research into the Northern Picts. The dwellings did look decidedly square. I am following that up.

Cheers, Michael

Duke Speedy of Leighton

The Romans did encourage the growth of blackberries on the ramparts too, the excavated ramparts often have bramble roots all over them.
Late summer harvest? :)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

barbarian

I think my inspiration could be that (its 1/285) :
https://arkiegamer.wordpress.com/2014/05/19/turning-point-stalingrad-better-than-cats/

So...

-Residential one floor buildings
-Residential 5-6 stoors buildings
-Factory
-Maybe the Grain Silo
-Maybe oil tank (tricky as they are cylinder sections.)

And one ton of rubble.

My bases for my minis are 25mm x 50mm, I need at least 30mm x 60mm buildings, since I want them to fit in there.

OR, I could do them smaller, and make some big bases (at least 100mm x 100mm but surely biggers too) to accomodate the bases of minis and "respect" the rules of BKC II

:-\

For the residential one floor, I could use a variation of the houses you made for the Napoleonic era.

I'll need to design the tall buildings.
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

WeeWars

13 March 2015, 01:31:04 PM #83 Last Edit: 13 March 2015, 01:33:34 PM by WeeWars
Quote from: Le Manchou on 12 March 2015, 09:32:57 AM
As your blog, it's an impressive work. I would be interested by Napoleonic period 1/600 to 1/1 000 scale footprint buildings to add to my maps. I will follow the evolution of your project.

Look! A 3mm Village! :D

Le Manchou, Is this the sort of thing you were thinking of?

The doors are 3mm high.

The church is based on Plancenoit Church. And there's a gate house. I experimented, also, with chimneys and walls. Chimneys, I think, should only be included on the bigger houses, otherwise they look a tad too big.

I have attempted to keep the gluing of the model pieces as simple as possible. I think it helps that all the buildings are solid, making it easier to press them together. I could do the roofs in less sections with a thicker material but I purposefully used the material I did to break up the roof surfaces. I prefer the uneven result.

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Michael

Leman

I think they would go great with 6mm, although would prefer terracotta roofing colour.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

WeeWars

Quote from: Leman on 13 March 2015, 01:44:34 PM
I think they would go great with 6mm, although would prefer terracotta roofing colour.

The colour is up to you.  :D

WeeWars

To give a sense of scale, here's a pic of the 3mm buildings with a 10mm mini.

getagrip

Dear Lord they're small. :o

Amazes me what people can do with las-cutters. :)
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Techno

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner