BKC 6mm basing

Started by getagrip, 05 March 2015, 10:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fenton

For GWSH I put 4 on a 30x30. They are Baccus which are a bit bigger than H&R. For H&R I would probably go 5
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Vehicles are mostly 30 x 30, HQ's from 30x30 up to 60 x60 (that's a Corp HQ with 4-5 vehilces and flagpole) Some do need deeper bases.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

toxicpixie

Yes, the infantry there are Adler (barring gun crews who are H&R), whilst the vehicles are H&R. All 30mm square, scenic effect (sand then cork rocks and some static grass tufts). HQ's are the 40mm squares with a couple of vee's and blokes and the CO the 50mm square with two vee's and about five blokes. Signals bloke being useful and four officers gesticulating IIRC :D

The limbers are a 60mm long by 30mm wide, as horse trains take up a lot of space!

I like the BKC approach to the HQ/CO - lets you get a nice looking mini-diorama with a couple of trucks or a jeep and tank, and some chaps looking earnestly at their maps etc.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Ithoriel

I put 6 Pendraken infantry figures on a 40x20 base - for no better reason than that BKC infantry bases take 6 hits to eliminate.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

getagrip

The best and worst thing about this forum is there are so many differing opinions and they're usually all good.  :-\

I have an "brain issue" with vehicles mounted on square bases; the vehicles are rectangular, the bases square!

I realise this is an odd thing to say but I'm not sure I could live with it... :-\
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Ithoriel

Quote from: getagrip on 06 March 2015, 12:09:13 PM
I have an "brain issue" with vehicles mounted on square bases; the vehicles are rectangular, the bases square!

You are not alone.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Our small events at Crisis Point - last weekend in Sept this year - draw troops from all over and with all types of base. We have no problem, apart from gas attacks on US marines.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

getagrip

yeah, just trying to get a consensus; the chance of everyone on here agreeing is...zero :D

And, to my mind, better for that :)

I think I might use 30x30 for infantry and 30x40 for vehicles.  Would that work?

toxicpixie

Don't see why not!

BKC isn't really very worried about base sizing in my experience :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

barbarian

For 10mm, I use 50 mm x 25 mm for foot, 25 x 25 for support, 25 x whatever fits for the bigger guns and no bases for vehicles.
6 mm could be nice with 3 or 4 vehicles on one stand to have a 1:1 platoon.
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

I've thought about that for 6mm before, but you need much bigger bases to avoid it looking like a carpark... there's some very nice piccies of that done with a desert force over on the BKC forum - Dr Dave, I think? Maybe?

With 3mm I'd say definitely for multiple mini's even on a smallish base though!

getagrip

Don't think I could live with unbased vehicles, especially since I'm using 6mm :-\