Modelling / painting / glueing disasters.

Started by getagrip, 25 February 2015, 07:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getagrip

Following BeardedHammer's resin disaster, I thought it might be an excersise in cathartic group therapy to share disasters.

Here's mine:

Having finished four units of minis I went to varnish them and managed to blast about half with undercoat before I realised my mistake  ~X( ~X( ~X(

So, what's yours?  Pics would be even..."funnier."
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Bodvoc

What about when you have proudly finished a unit, take them outside for a coat of spray varnish and the varnish goes all cloudy and white on them, makes me want to cry!
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

andys

I'd just finished a units worth of figures and knocked over a pot of black paint, getting it over about half the unit.

Shame the paint wasn't blue, 'cos that's the colour I turned the air...  >:( ;)

Westmarcher

Been there too, Andy (but fortunately only hit three figures at the end of the base).   ~X(
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

getagrip

Quote from: Bodvoc on 25 February 2015, 07:41:14 PM
What about when you have proudly finished a unit, take them outside for a coat of spray varnish and the varnish goes all cloudy and white on them, makes me want to cry!

This is why I switched to Vallejo matt varnish.  Don't have to worry about the humidity etc. ;)

Roy

Told this one before:

Spray varnish. Nozzle facing towards my face and not the figures. Sprayed into my eyes. One of the reasons, probably, why I now wear glasses. It wouldn't of helped anyway, I reckon.
Rimmer: "Aliens."

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

Rimmer: "Well, we didn't use it all, Lister. Who did?"

Lister: "Rimmer, aliens used our bog roll?"

getagrip

Quote from: RoyWilliamson on 25 February 2015, 09:28:11 PM
Told this one before:

Spray varnish. Nozzle facing towards my face and not the figures. Sprayed into my eyes. One of the reasons, probably, why I now wear glasses. It wouldn't of helped anyway, I reckon.

Blimey, that's a bit extreme  :o

Roy

It was an accident though.

Like the time I accidently shot myself with an air rifle. Or the time I stabbed myself in the heel with a knife. Or when I was larking around with an 1" wood chisel, tossing it up doing knife tricks, missed the catch and made a mess of my palm instead. Or the time when the handsaw slipped and...

Not that I'm a walking disaster, you understand  :D   
Rimmer: "Aliens."

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

Rimmer: "Well, we didn't use it all, Lister. Who did?"

Lister: "Rimmer, aliens used our bog roll?"

Subedai

Never had that problem, when I used spray varnish it was underground in a large loading bay about ten years ago. Since then I always use brush on enamel followed by brush on matt.

I have three disasters.

Years ago, when Bellona printed small armour booklets with 1/72 scale plans in, I decided to scratch-build a Renault FT. I made the body of the tank no probs, then I made the right wheel assembly straight from the plans -again no probs. Then I made the left wheel assembly, also straight from the plans. Took me about 3 days to make them both but yep, you guessed it, I ended up with two right wheel assemblies. Thing went straight into the circular filing cabinet!

Second was actually the first time I bought a canister of spray varnish back in the day. The nozzle clogged up despite upturning and spraying till clear. Thinking it might be something inside I pressed the plunger with a pin and got a face full of gloss varnish -including in both eyes. Luckily, copious amounts of water cleared it up.

Thirdly, when I was a runtling without even a paper round I couldn't afford a metal ruler so I used to use a plastic ruler and a craft knife. The times the bl**dy knife slipped and took off a slice of my middle finger, left hand.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

getagrip

Ouch.

Reminds me of a teen disaster.  I was painting some 28ml minis with enamels.  I'd topped up a tub with turps and, when I went to clean my brush, the tub was empty.  In actual fact the turps had melted the bottom and turps had flooded out all over the kitchen table.  This, of course, took all the varnish off the table.

I wasn't popular!

Techno

Quote from: RoyWilliamson on 25 February 2015, 09:42:02 PM
It was an accident though.
Like the time I accidently shot myself with an air rifle. Or the time I stabbed myself in the heel with a knife. Or when I was larking around with an 1" wood chisel, tossing it up doing knife tricks, missed the catch and made a mess of my palm instead. Or the time when the handsaw slipped and...
Not that I'm a walking disaster, you understand  :D   

With that record......You realize that a lot of folk are going to think I'm  posting under another name, now. ;D
Cheers - Phil.

Ithoriel

A second coat of varnish will fix that, in my experience.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

getagrip

Quote from: Ithoriel on 25 February 2015, 10:38:08 PM
A second coat of varnish will fix that, in my experience.

That's worth knowing  ;)

Bodvoc

'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Ithoriel

Back in the days when building most armies involved pins, plasticene, banana oil and craft knives I was regularly missing the the top millimetre or so of various fingers  :-[
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data