Undercoat - black or white?

Started by Vamboozle, 20 February 2015, 09:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vamboozle

So while I wait for delivery of my new delusion of grandeur project I've been taking a browse through the painting tips and I can see there are 2 schools of thought on undercoating - black or white.

Now I've only ever painted 15mm upwards and have always gone for a white undercoat - never questioned it as it was taught to me by my dad who is a keen model railway type (garden layout capable of carrying tea).

However a 10mm is new to me I thought maybe it's time to reconsider.

So what's the opinion of the wise men / shaman / grand poobahs of the forum? Black or white? And what are the advantages of each?

Thanks.
Old enough to know better

paulr

Grey  ;D

Lets you see the detail like white but doesn't leap out if you miss a bit. Lightens, brightens colours when compared to black...

There are plenty of other options  :-\
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Fenton

Ummm yeah grey for me to with black Vallejo shade wash over the to bring out the details

Though I don't see any reason it wouldn't work with white
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Luddite

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Ithoriel

I tend to use black because that way the bits I miss become shading :)

I've also used grey, black highlighted white and white depending what I'm painting. I'm afraid my technique is a bit "suck it and see."
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Maenoferren

Black at the moment as that is what I have handy.
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

cbr3d.com

I prefer grey for the smaller scales of 6mm and 10mm.  But the best way to go is choose a few figures and try white, black, and grey for yourself and see which produces the result you like best.   ;) 

Luddite

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Last Hussar

Grey.  I find white too bright to make out detail, black eats light, plus painting Prussians or Union is a nightmare: dark blue on black.

Also Grey is good for cutting down painting times on Austrians and Rebs.

There you have it. Black, white grey.  Only 3 colours that people undercoat with.  There are not any others. No Sir-ee
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

FierceKitty

I've used a brown for some armies, esp. Zulus. For the rest, do a search here on the subject and you'll find hundreds of posts, since this is a recurrent question.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

WeeWars

Neither white or black.

I prefer a yellow-brown/khaki. Wash over with a darker brown and most if not all of the natural stuff – like wood, skin, fur, hide, horses, and dirt (plus bottles) – is as good as done.

www.michaelscott.name/1809/1809blogpost80.htm

Cheers, Michael
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

NTM

Grey for me. Found white made things too bright and never got on with painting over black.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

White primer followed by black or dark brown wash. Detail leaps out, colours are less muted and there is instant shading.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!