Undercoat - black or white?

Started by Vamboozle, 20 February 2015, 09:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vamboozle

It appears I've asked the wargaming equivalent of "how long is a piece of string?" Or "what's the in flight velocity of a swallow?"

I think Fig.ht is right - I going to have to try and see what suits......
Old enough to know better

Techno

From all the answer above, Vambo, it looks as though your best bet would be to have a bit of an experiment, and see which one suits your style of painting the best.
(Or which one you think gives the best effect.)......Fig.ht is quite right !

Rather than forking out on lots of different colour undercoats, I wonder if it would give you an idea if you sprayed a handful of figures white.....'Slap on' an appropriate colour as a 'pretend' undercoat, then paint on to the top of that.
It'll give you an idea, and you can always strip the paint from any figures you don't like.

Just an idea.

Cheers - Phil

GordonY

Black for the "if I miss a bit, its a shadow" effect followed  by a heavy wet brush of mid grey, so I can see what the feck I'm painting (plus colour lightening as others have mentioned.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

A friend undercoated his 28mm Russians red about 10 years ago for Warfare in The Age of Reason. Then for yonks they were still red with his basing applied. They looked really good.
Especially as the opposition was in green!
Now he's finished painting them. They look great, but we all miss the effect.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Bodvoc

Black undercoat with a dark brown drybrush over the top to bring out the detail, then paint as required.
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

toxicpixie

Black. Except when I use white/grey or a tan/brown or a red oxide. Sorry, depends on the project and what I want!

Black and a block paint is quick and gives a decent result, but can wash out/darken colours, white/grey works very well with a heavy wash (magic wash, Army Painter if you've money to burn!), a brown/tan I find looks really nice with a lighter "GW STYLE" (or Vallejo or...) wash (I use Reiksland Fleshshade usually) - got some Ottomans I want to get a decent photo of using that technique to enter in the comp!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Roy

Rimmer: "Aliens."

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

Rimmer: "Well, we didn't use it all, Lister. Who did?"

Lister: "Rimmer, aliens used our bog roll?"

Subedai

Used to use black exclusively in all scales, now I only use it on all 6mm figures and it depends on what I am painting if larger. Sometimes it's black or white with a black magic wash over the top to fill in the creases and. The only thing is that I use enamel undecoat not acrylic.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

getagrip

Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

SerialLoser

Black undercoat for shading, then drybrush colours over the top.

Hertsblue

Dare I mention that some people use light grey. I do for vehicles.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

jambo1

I have used both black and white when undercoating, not at the same time!, but still undecided on whats best. :-\

ecka65

Well, as a newcomer who has painted 1000's of 6mm but hasn't got off the mark yet with 10mm...

I use white washed with a homemede black ink wash.  Even with an excellent light and reading glasses I can't see what I'm trying to hit when I used black.  Plus yellow, and some reds (often banes for any painter) work beautifully over washed white and abysmally (for me anyway) over black.  One of my early discoveries painting small (back "in my day" I was 15mm DBA and 28mm everything else) I found I needed to hit the small guys with a few shades lighter and brighter than I'd use on a bigger fig.  Black makes that a pain.

Atavus

I favour a grey undercoat myself.  A very flexible base for any colour you might want to use over it.

getagrip

Quote from: Atavus on 03 March 2015, 11:59:54 AM
I favour a grey undercoat myself.  A very flexible base for any colour you might want to use over it.
How do you black line?

Having seen your painting I suspect you don't :-\
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.