Modelling / painting / glueing disasters.

Started by getagrip, 25 February 2015, 07:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Subedai

Another one just sprang to mind. Before acrylics you could only get the little tins of Humbrol. After a couple of times holding the tin between forefinger and thumb to shake it...and promptly getting paint all over me and everywhere else in the immediate vicinity because the lid hadn't been replaced properly, I then cottoned on to closing my hand with the tin in the palm and shake it that way, still do it today with tins of varnish.

Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

getagrip

Quote from: Ithoriel on 26 February 2015, 11:21:08 AM
Back in the days when building most armies involved pins, plasticene, banana oil and craft knives I was regularly missing the the top millimetre or so of various fingers  :-[

Banana oil???

For what?
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Bodvoc

Ah, humbrol paints I remember those. When still at school, I recall rushing home from town with one of my friends clutching some Airfix afrika corps and 8th army. As we broke open the tins of humbrol to paint our soldiers it spilt all over the new paving slabs that my dad has just laid. We tried to get away with it by turning them over, but he spotted it! No more pocket money or new soldiers for a while.
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Ithoriel

Quote from: getagrip on 26 February 2015, 01:27:33 PM
Banana oil???

For what?

I used it to "set" paper tissue cloaks, amongst other uses.

It was used by model aircraft enthusiasts as "dope" on the tissue-paper skins of balsa framed aircraft. That's how I came across it.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

getagrip

Quote from: Ithoriel on 26 February 2015, 01:42:04 PM
I used it to "set" paper tissue cloaks, amongst other uses.

It was used by model aircraft enthusiasts as "dope" on the tissue-paper skins of balsa framed aircraft. That's how I came across it.

How the hell did someone discover that? :o

Subedai

Quote from: getagrip on 26 February 2015, 01:50:55 PM
How the hell did someone discover that? :o

I used to use it as a hardener on the drinking straw and plasticine shako's for my French WW 1 to Napoleonic Prussian Airfix conversions.

The stuff was like gunpowder, once you smell you never forget it...for all the wrong reasons. Probably banned by now.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

getagrip

Quote from: Subedai on 26 February 2015, 03:36:30 PM
I used to use it as a hardener on the drinking straw and plasticine shako's for my French WW 1 to Napoleonic Prussian Airfix conversions.

The stuff was like gunpowder, once you smell you never forget it...for all the wrong reasons. Probably banned by now.

See what you've gone and done; now I want some... :-\

FierceKitty

Quote from: RoyWilliamson on 25 February 2015, 09:42:02 PM
It was an accident though.

Like the time I accidently shot myself with an air rifle. Or the time I stabbed myself in the heel with a knife. Or when I was larking around with an 1" wood chisel, tossing it up doing knife tricks, missed the catch and made a mess of my palm instead. Or the time when the handsaw slipped and...

Not that I'm a walking disaster, you understand  :D   

Well, you won't be walking much longer if you don't change your ways!

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

FierceKitty

I've previously mentioned my spray-on flock, which I thought was a plain matt pigment suitable for undercoating, and the resultant host of maquahitl-waving teddy bears.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Upgraydd

I use the Reaper Master Series paints that come in 1/2 ounce dropper bottles, sometimes the nozzle gets a bit clogged. On this occasion, I couldn't find my thin piece of wire to de-clog so I shook the paint vigorously and squeezed harder than I probably should have, the end result was; me, my work bench, most of the equipment on the work bench and the roof above the bench covered in gold paint...I have no idea how it got on the roof.

It really is impressive how much area can be covered by 1/2 an ounce of paint, The end result looked like a zombie massacre in gold.

Hertsblue

Never mind paint, don't ever spill Humbrol plastic cement. The stuff gives off fumes that would knock out a bull elephant and is practically immovable from anything it soaks into. Fortunately, I got rid of everything it touched an so avoded enny brin dommage.....
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

getagrip

Acrylic paint (any) on a wool carpet: OUCH!

We have now changed our carpets to good quality man made fibres; looks and feels like wool but doesn't stain at all.  Useful with a four year old around :)