First 10mm painted

Started by Ken, 07 February 2015, 06:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Szymon

Fenton

Very nice work

Agree with the comments about the red...The Vermillion red from Vallejo would make a nice highlight for the colour already there
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Leman

Very nice painting, but they look more like Prussian fusiliers to me.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ken

Thank you for all comments, I really appreciate it.

These were given to me after I expressed an interest in trying 10mm. The card with them said they're MAL9, and since I have zero knowledge of this period I went with what I could find online. 

I think you're right, the red should be brighter.

getagrip

What scale are you used to Ken?
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Ken

Quote from: getagrip on 07 February 2015, 04:58:36 PM
What scale are you used to Ken?

I've been painting 6mm on and off for the last 2 years, with and occasional 15mm here and there.

getagrip

Must feel like painting giants  :)

I moved from 28mm to 10mm!
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Womble67

Looks really good

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

I've had another close look at the photos and I think they are MAL 09 which means they are Marlburian grenadiers in short mitre, about 50 years before the Seven Years War. They are definitely not SYW Prussian grenadiers.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

jambo1

Yes indeed, just got my army pack and the grenadiers in that are different to your pics, still a lovely job. :)

Ken

Quote from: Leman on 07 February 2015, 06:04:18 PM
I've had another close look at the photos and I think they are MAL 09 which means they are Marlburian grenadiers in short mitre, about 50 years before the Seven Years War. They are definitely not SYW Prussian grenadiers.

Thank you for the information.  :)  This will be helpful when I go to build an army around these.

jchaos79

jambo1

Yes go for the marlburian era, great one to wargame and plenty of great figures in the catalogue too.

fsn

What he said.

Though of course it will soon be eclipsed by the League of Ausberg range when the "Witchfinder General" and the "Cuirassier with an upset tummy" gets added.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Hertsblue

Quote from: clibinarium on 07 February 2015, 01:07:01 PM
Nice work, especially for a first go.

(though they aren't SYW grenadiers, they're from the Spanish Sucession era  ;) )

Clib is, of course, right in both respects. The SYW grenadiers would have taller, more pointed mitres and turnbacks on the coat.

Don't let it bother you, though. The WSS is an equally nice period to game and your painting is excellent.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net