What ruleset did you use in your last game - 2015?

Started by jchaos79, 24 January 2015, 08:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

As in once you roll initiative, do units within the command activated get to act if outside command radius? The answer is yes, but if they're disordered they'll have a sod of a time righting themselves and no extra chances!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - FoGR
2) What armies were confronted? - League of Augsberg Anglo-Dutch vs. Covenanting Rebels
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Increasingly yes.
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - 2 players

Took a maximum loss as my whole line was disrupted by Don's shooting and then his highlanders charged, I got speedbumped! Still a good game, I learned lots (my army was on a net -2 for being new to the table and better painted)! ;D
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Nosher

Quote from: toxicpixie on 23 July 2015, 05:04:32 PM
As in once you roll initiative, do units within the command activated get to act if outside command radius? The answer is yes, but if they're disordered they'll have a sod of a time righting themselves and no extra chances!

Good to have it confirmed.

The battle very quickly broke up into lots of individual one on one stand fights and became quite repetitive until the Ayyubids eventually broke
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

toxicpixie

I can magi e - two feudal armies without any useful command and control, one her wrap each will dissolve into everyone just doing whatever's in front of them in a shambles :D I suspect you need to drop a unit per side and get a second general each just to keep a bit of movement & rally off some Disorder. Otherwise whilst the effect of two shambling uncontrolled masses of confusion incarnate bashing whatever is in front of them is possibly quite realistic it's not much actual fun...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Techno

Eh ?................ :-\
I understood that all the way, up until "I can"......  :-\ ;)  :D
Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

toxicpixie

It's in autocorrect :D Should have been "I can imagine" ;)

Leman

1. No name yet but they are ACW
2. Union and Confederate - Eastern Theatre - 28mm Perrys
3. Yes - very straightforward
4. First time used. I am helping a friend to write a set for 28mm figures based as units on 120mm frontage bases. We had great fun deciding on things like ranges, how much a fence slowed a unit up, when to throw for morale and so on
5. 2 player game at this sitting. What a lark though!

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Chain of Command (Coc)
2) What armies were confronted? - German platoon with sniper vs Russian platoon with Churchill!
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - not really. The basic ideas were clear enough, and I like the random activation idea, it was the amount of rule diving going on for the experienced players slowed it right down.
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - yes, but the rest of the guys have played lots.
5) How many players were in the game? - 3 German vs 2 Russians.

I liked but was confused by the pregame sequence of scout moves. It did mean we pinned the Sovs into a corner and they hunkered down in two ruined buildings.
My rifle section got picked on by the tank :( not much of a game. My lmg sat behind a wall and plugged away at a Soviet held building all game.
Our sniper eliminated one soviet squad, and an LMG caught the Enemy command in the open (but kept light wounding him, crippling their morale) at which point we had 6 straight turns where the Sovs got no goes and we just shot them to pieces.
The game felt like it should be quick, but it was too slow and ponderous with five of us playing really. The experienced players were rule reading a lot, which slowed it right down and made for a fairly dull evening overall.
I can see this will be a set that works well though. Just needs less playing by committee! :)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Honours of War
2) What armies were confronted? - Prussia vs Austria
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - 2

Another cracking game last night. Hope to get another game in soon and will post a proper AAR.

Leman

1) RF&F
2) Confederates v. Union
3) Sometime since I last played it. Some confusion around the table about when is a unit out of command vis-a-vis in command but not under their direct brigadier. Is that out of command, in command or in command but provisional? Having reread the rules (p.25) it would appear to be the latter. It seems that the guys down the club have been playing command all wrong by not using the provisional command rule, and shoving in higher commanders to simply sub for a missing brigadier without accounting for the fact that these troops are now under provisional command. It was even suggested that a poor brigadier be sent off to the rear and the divisional commander be used instead. My response was that that appeared to me to be cheating. Disappointing to come across the win at any cost approach down the club. Now I can kick that concept into touch,
4) No
5) 4
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Fenton

I enjoy RF&F. Sad that people are desperate to bend the rules as much as possible.
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

paulr

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Spearhead
2) What armies were confronted? - Poles, Canadians & Americans vs Germans
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - Not by a long way, but hadn't played them for far too long
5) How many players were in the game? - 5

Allies with limited fuel and orders trying to block German forces trying to escape the Falaise pocket while also holding off attempts to break into the pocket :-\

A lot of fun and great to catch up with some players I haven't seen in years :) :) :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Bolt Action - Finns and Russians - Four players (there's a feed line for somebody) - First time I've met it - not hard to understand, but I shy away from rules where you can hit without wounding (with modern weapons at that!) and where there are more pages in the rule book than figures on the table. Half a game was overplenty.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

paulr

Quote from: paulr on 23 August 2015, 01:54:50 AM
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Spearhead
2) What armies were confronted? - Poles, Canadians & Americans vs Germans
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - Not by a long way, but hadn't played them for far too long
5) How many players were in the game? - 5

Allies with limited fuel and orders trying to block German forces trying to escape the Falaise pocket while also holding off attempts to break into the pocket :-\

A lot of fun and great to catch up with some players I haven't seen in years :) :) :)

For those interested my opponent has posted a report of the game on his blog here http://lukeuedasarson.blogspot.jp/2015/08/falais-gap-part-i.html
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!