What ruleset did you use in your last game - 2015?

Started by jchaos79, 24 January 2015, 08:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

06 July 2015, 12:23:21 PM #165 Last Edit: 06 July 2015, 12:32:23 PM by toxicpixie
Two sets form me, this weekend being a meet up - first actual gaming in ages due to lack of opponents at the club even when I have made it my self!

1) Maurice. AWI.
2) Heroic & noble freedom loving colonists versus imperialist oligarchic British and mercenary turncoat scrmbags.
3) Yes - it's simple and quite elegant, but I do know the card driven command mechanic puts people off. Still, no worse than any other way to simulate friction and command problems!
4) Sort of - I've managed to play half a game twice, so this was my first full proper game
5) 4 players. We each had a 75pt sized army (on the small side) with us paired off.

My heroic freedom fighters got well stuck in, and it totally wasn't the French on my left who did all the running... actually, the Continentals under my command did well, pinning and breaking the British Grenadiers, ejecting some Tory turncoats from their boarded up town and sweeping over a mass of light infantry with the aid of my French troops, who did a lovely march column based flank movement and deployed out to force the British cavalry well back behind their own lines. My opponent didn't fancy attempting a sabre charge into a wall of bayonets, tried to get the cavalry out the way and re-organised to come bakc on my flank in turn but just succeeded in diverting his generals attention (and cards) away from where it was needed :D

Unfortunately my partner in revolution simply couldn't convert hits to kills (disruptions), and failed to break any enemy units before the last turn (we had the entire British centre with every unit on one hit to kill for several turns and he just couldn't quite do it), by which point our appalling losses (we rolled high for EVERY lost unit, they rolled low to average) saw us melt back off into the forests and disperse due to running out of army morale.

Really good game, very tense, and the final zero morale to twelve certainly didn't tell the story on the ground :D

1) Impetus. Late Medieval/Renaissance.
2) Dastardly Ottomans ejecting heroic freedom bringing merchants of Venice from the Balkans.
3) Yes - love it, really good set of mechanisms and brilliant interactions between all troops in period.
4) Not by a long shot, it's a favourite :)
5) 5 players. Ottomans had two with three commands between them, we had three with a command each.

I screened my colleagues condottari with my harquebusers to get them up to CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE range and knock a few holes out of the Janissaries and Siphais opposite us, whilst our right flank wa sheld by a cloud of skirmishing horse and foot. Said cloud of stradiots and crossbowmen put up a surprisingly good fight but the Ottoman shooting light horse backed by siphais were just way too much for them to deal with and they folded just as the knights went in, my handgunners having done sterling work in shooting up the opposition. Unfortunately I'd had to use my commander to stop the horde of Azabs on the Ottoman flank from crunching into my gun line, and he and his fellow light infantry eventually got caught and swamped.

Due to a very poor decision on my part NOT to advance when I should have, we'd given the Ottomans a turns grace to dodge and evade our knightly charge, so our skirmishing flank folded, unleashing the intact Ottoman command into my bloody useless except for gifting the enemy enough points to break me artillery park. I'd shot enough Janissaries and stabbed enough Azabs that the knights broke that wing, but they couldn't catch enough Siphais to break the centre and we were forced to retire back to Venice pronto.

Still, at least the stradiots and mercenary crossbows don't need paying anymore...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

KTravlos

Insert Quote
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Bloody Big Battles
2) What armies were confronted? - Greeks vs. Ottomans Velestino 1897
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - 4 times.

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Honours of War (to be published by Osprey in November)
2) What armies were confronted? - Prussians vs Austrians 1761
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - No, but first solo game
5) How many players were in the game? - Just me.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Carcassione
2) What armies were confronted? No armies, but black and yellow 'meeples'.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes very
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - Been playing for years
5) How many players were in the game? - 2 players, my 10 year old daughter beat me by two points!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Why is Chucky's little brother lying on the floor in that pathetic attitude?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

What you missed was Tabs under the chair FK, waiting to pounce! ;)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

Le chat du Chucky est sous la table de ma tante.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Luddite

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game?

Blitzkrieg Commander

2) What armies were confronted?

Late war British and German.

3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset?

Yes, although its been a while so we were a little rusty.

4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset?

No.

5) How many players were in the game?

Four.

The British had a tough task in capturing a crossroads from the dug-in Germans.  The plucky Brits made good progress, but were unable to achieve their objectives in the time allotted.  The Germans were able to hold up the advance for just long enough.
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

SV52

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - HOTT (with a couple of house mods)
2) What armies were confronted? - Dwarfs v Undead
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yup
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - Nah
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo game.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Skirmish Sangin
2) What armies were confronted? - SAS vs African Rebels
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - Yes.
5) How many players were in the game? - 3

Nosher

1. Impetus

2. Crusaders v Ayyubid

3/4. Yes - second game and over a year since I played my first game so very rusty on the rules.

5. Solo - my last wargaming fix before the family holiday where toys and hobby is a no-no.

Victory to the Crusaders in a very scrappy game with only 300 points aside. Battle was joined quickly but with only one commander per side and both having poor command structures, rallying was hard, nigh impossible.

I think Impetus plays better with multiple commands at 500 points but I was limited both by time frame and by available miniatures for the Arabs. I may have to invest in some more to give a better game.
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

toxicpixie

QuoteBattle was joined quickly but with only one commander per side and both having poor command structures, rallying was hard, nigh impossible.

Crikey, that must have been hard work!

Probably quite realistic for pointy stick warfare but very hard to play...

We normally use two commanders at 300pts, I must admit, and I usually avoid anything with Poor command structure anyway.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Honours of War
2) What armies were confronted? - Russia vs Austria
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - no
5) How many players were in the game? - 2

Nosher

Quote from: toxicpixie on 23 July 2015, 03:35:57 PM
Crikey, that must have been hard work!

Probably quite realistic for pointy stick warfare but very hard to play...

We normally use two commanders at 300pts, I must admit, and I usually avoid anything with Poor command structure anyway.

It was. Not the most enjoyable of games. Pretty much lined up opposite each other on a 120x90cm playing area just over the minimum starting distance apart (30cm).

Im not sure I was getting command activation right. Do you have to be within the command radius to be activated?
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson