What ruleset did you use in your last game - 2015?

Started by jchaos79, 24 January 2015, 08:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Hussar

IABSM
Fallschimjaeger vs Dads Army & Churchill's bodyguard
Enough that we can make stuff up because we know that Richard would be happy with that. (eg Wilson can't give an order if Mainwaring has already had his card drawn this turn, rules for firing from the loopholes in Jones' van, and special rules for Churchill.)
Me vs Sunjester.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

GrumpyOldMan

Quote from: Last Hussar on 14 May 2015, 11:32:28 PM
IABSM
Fallschimjaeger vs Dads Army & Churchill's bodyguard
Enough that we can make stuff up because we know that Richard would be happy with that. (eg Wilson can't give an order if Mainwaring has already had his card drawn this turn, rules for firing from the loopholes in Jones' van, and special rules for Churchill.)
Me vs Sunjester.

Sounds like great fun. Was thinking of doing something similar with Allo Allo with IABSM stealing recycling some of the ideas from the rules in the Yahoo group https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AlloAlloMohawky/info.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan
(Preview button still not working in Frefox then...)

paulr

Quote from: paulr on 12 May 2015, 07:02:18 AM
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - If the Lord Spares Us
2) What armies were confronted? - Australians v Ottomans
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - 4-5 players overs the two evenings

We enjoyed the alternative ANZAC Day scenario that Peter came up with so much that we played it a second time over a couple of Saturday evenings

Another jolly good game, I won't say too much about the course of this game until I finish the AAR for the first game but a good time was had by all  :)

The AAR for the first game is now here http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,12132.0.html
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

1. BBB
2. French v. Prussians
3. Yes, this was my fourth outing with the rules
4. See 3
5. 2 players. It was the Mars la Tour scenario in 15mm. This was my second go at Mars la Tour in a fortnight and my second defeat as the French. As with the Neil Thomas rules the mechanisms in BBB (passive troops and only one general represented) meant that the French moved very slowly. The French artillery had particularly poor move rolls on the dice, often scoring only half move or no move at all. Again tardiness made it very difficult to mount a co-ordinated attack against the villages, which were the objectives. The scenario also resulted in a fair number of French troops being held back as the French could only achieve a victory by securing Gravelotte, Rezonville, Vionville and Mars la Tour. Unfortunately no camera this time. 
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Chris Pringle

Quote1. BBB
2. French v. Prussians
3. Yes, this was my fourth outing with the rules
4. See 3
5. 2 players. It was the Mars la Tour scenario in 15mm. This was my second go at Mars la Tour in a fortnight and my second defeat as the French. As with the Neil Thomas rules the mechanisms in BBB (passive troops and only one general represented) meant that the French moved very slowly. The French artillery had particularly poor move rolls on the dice, often scoring only half move or no move at all. Again tardiness made it very difficult to mount a co-ordinated attack against the villages, which were the objectives. The scenario also resulted in a fair number of French troops being held back as the French could only achieve a victory by securing Gravelotte, Rezonville, Vionville and Mars la Tour. Unfortunately no camera this time. 

Sounds suitably historical!

Chris
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.co.uk/

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Maenoferren

10 June 2015, 11:39:23 PM #141 Last Edit: 10 June 2015, 11:53:24 PM by Maenoferren
Science versus Pluck
Sudan
Anglo Egyptian forces v Mahdists
3rd time played,
Solo ish game

A photo of the action after the cavalry screen find an awful lot of angry people with sharp pointy things. Luckily they cleared the line of fire  and volley fire commenced.
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc31/Maenoferren/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150606_213748_zpsejxmplsl.jpg

Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

I have thought about giving them (SVP) a go having downloaded a copy from Wargame Vault.

Maenoferren

The rules work well when you get the hang of them (It took my quite a long time  :-[)
I have ended up doing 40 random events so far and want to get to at least 50 so that I can use percentage dice to randomise the random events.
this runs from Sandstorm, which happened in the game above to recalcitrant camels and or drivers. Loss of ammunition to increased accuracy of the Dervish fire.

Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Nosher

1. Muskets and Tomahawks

2. Small Elite British Force v Large Continental/Militia American Force

3. Second time I have played the game (6 months between games) and this time solo. Easy to pick up and within a few turns I was back in the swing of things. Not as much fun as against a live opponent but the card driven system lends itself well to solo play

The British won (Hurrah!!) with their mission being a straight forward defeat your enemy. The Americans had to scout each area of the board and exit at least a 3rd of their force from their own table edge. They managed to scout the battlefield but took horrendous casualties attempting their withdrawal - not helped by having a very large militia unit rout after only taking a single casualty.

Its a good system, loads of scenarios, random events and sub-plots built into the scenario generator which makes for a good game.

I played a 400pt mid sized game in 15mm (purely because I have a large AWI collection) and used cms as opposed to inches on a 4ftx3ft table so I think it would equally suit 10mm. There were 33 figures on the British Side and double that on the American side. Going 10mm would be cheap as chips!
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Black Powder with LAoK supplement
2) What armies were confronted? - Prussian vs Austrian
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes, although we had to check and talk through a few issues that hadn't arisen before.
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - 2 players

Chris Pringle

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Village hall booking rules
2) What armies were confronted? - Wargamers vs 17th Century folk dancers. Quick and total defeat of the Wargamers, unfortunately.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - No, and the umpire let us down.
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - No.
5) How many players were in the game? - 2 of us, at least 6 of them. Not a fair scenario.

Today's blog post explains!
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.co.uk/

Chris

Leman

;D ;D ;D Somebody needs to tell them Cromwell banned this.