how long do you spend

Started by conster, 17 January 2015, 10:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conster

Hi guys after looking at the great painted figs on here i was wondering how long would it take you to paint one unit of 12 awi/napoleonic infantry    to your best standard

Leman

Two weeks, including terrained bases.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Likewise, but if I could do it full time, four days, three of which are waiting for the various parts of the basing to dry.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

petercooman

If i painted every single night, i might make it in 2 weeks too.

paulr

Probably a similar amount of time for me. I tend to paint in larger batches of about 100 figures. Takes longer to get them finished (~4-6 weeks) but more ready when they are  :-\
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Luddite

Actual painting time - 2hrs max.  Probably less.

With undercoat and basing time added in, two evenings.
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Steve J

Probably a day of actual painting for me, if I could maintain focus on the project that is. But then my highest standard these days is "if looks good at gaming distances, then I'm happy". Certainly not to the standard of the Pendraken painting comp entries.

Matt J

12 hours (16-24 for competition standard) plus basing time.
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

fsn

I'm with Luddite. But then again, my figures look like I only spend a few hours on them (unlike Luddite's).

To be honest I hate painting. I like painted figures, but the activity itself gives me little pleasure.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

GordonY

As short a time as possible, iffen I can tell what it is at 3 feet away then I'm happy, but then again my figures dont stand up to close scrutiny.

Bodvoc

Over the years I have developed a painting style that I am very happy with that puts figures on the table that look good (neat with some shading) from a gaming viewpoint. To paint 12 such figures would be 2 nights painting then a couple of nights on the basing, only a short while each night but have to wait for various things to dry. A decent looking base also improves the look of your figures.
I could paint more detailed figures but then would hardly get any finished and on the table, plus the old eyesight is starting to struggle a bit.
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Leman

I take ages because I'm an avid film fan (The Sweeney last night - wotcha, very nor-ee). Do my best work in the mornings.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Hertsblue

Actual painting time, probably two to three evenings. However, I'd have to stop and let my neck muscles sort themselves out at intervals, which does mean it would probably take more like a week.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

petercooman

Quote from: petercooman on 18 January 2015, 12:09:36 AM
If i painted every single night, i might make it in 2 weeks too.

Maybe some clarification to this, i don't paint in the weekends, and sometimes i have to wait a day too, like the basecoat on the base usually takes some time to sry, and working early and morning shifts doesn't always allow much painting time in a day. So two weeks is the timespan, but 4 hours in total maybe to a regular gaming standard. (yes i paint in tiny bits, sometimes only one colour each day, but progress is progress)

Ithoriel

I have a unit of 24 15mm Russian Napoleonic Line Infantry that I undercoated just before my younger son was born, they're still not finished .... he's 24 this year :(
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data