6mm BBB armies

Started by Leman, 05 January 2015, 08:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Currently there are two free scenarios on the Yahoo site, i.e. Shiloh and Gettysburg. Chris Pringle is producing some small scenarios for people to try out the rule mechanisms before embarking on a major battle. So far Langensalza is available on the Yahoo site and Spicheren is in preparation. He is also rethinking Gitschin and may be putting that out as well. The ACW as a separate scenario book seems a lot less likely, and as has been noted on a number of forums it would take relatively little effort to translate the larger Alter of Freedom scenarios into BBB. There is no way battles like those in the Valley campaign would work with BBB where some of Jacksons battles would only feature three or four bases of infantry with the cavalry and artillery factored in.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Subedai

(Don't know if this should be a separate thread, if so just move it.)

I told you I had a couple of battlepacks for FPW. Dug them out and decided they can jump the queue seeing as Ma Subs is off to stay with one of the smalls for a week I hope to get them painted.

I've found a set of rules (in my collection of farsends of sets) called Bazaine! written in 1989 by a certain Mr Bernard Ganley who if memory serves frequents this forum. Anyone used these before and what did they think? They seem to be specifically designed for 6mm.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

I've had them since 1989 and they are very interesting. they are in various parts: the rules themselves,  background and campaign information and formations and playsheets. Never got round to playing them as at the time I was playing Warfare in the Industrial with my 10mm Wargames South figures (now sadly sold on). On quck inspection I could use them as they operate on 30mm frontage, which is the basing I use, but each base represents a company, so small scale actions then.

Subedai

Yes, I noticed the 1 base to 1 company so I may have to get some more stuff. I'll have a word with that nice Mr. Kay.
Blog is at

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Leman

Now starting to make some progress with the Brigade Miniatures 3mm buildings for use with 6mm in BBB.

Westmarcher

Interesting comparison with the figures and the half scale buildings. 
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

getagrip

Quote from: Westmarcher on 07 March 2015, 02:41:21 PM
Interesting comparison with the figures and the half scale buildings. 

I assume you're just using them to represent the positions of buildings?  I think you referred to this in another thread.
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Leman

Yes, they will sit on templates representing either village areas or town areas. In the rules it talks about templates being squares of the same size. However, all the scenario maps show villages as relatively small circles so I have opted for circular bases for the village template and oblong bases for the town template, both smaller than the rules recommendation. In the Borny scenario, for example, there are over 30 villages on a 6'x4' table. I will post more pictures when the templates are ready. I have downloaded some photos of grass and cobbles from the internet to cut up and glue to the templates. I am also intending to glue on some roads and tracks.

getagrip

I'm all for this; otherwise it just creates more "dead space!"

paulr

Sounds a very good plan  ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Roy

:-bd really nice painting.
Top idea with the buildings!
Rimmer: "Aliens."

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

Rimmer: "Well, we didn't use it all, Lister. Who did?"

Lister: "Rimmer, aliens used our bog roll?"

Hertsblue

Nice painting, Leman, but the buildings seem awfully wee beside the figures. More so than 10mils alongside 6mm buildings. 
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Subedai

I suppose at the scale of 1 base equals a brigade or similar you need smaller buildings otherwise the ground scale gets all screwed up. However, on the same sized table I would prefer a smaller action with in scale buildings purely for the visual aspect, but that's just me.
Blog is at

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

getagrip

Quote from: Subedai on 10 March 2015, 02:56:17 PM
I suppose at the scale of 1 base equals a brigade or similar you need smaller buildings otherwise the ground scale gets all screwed up. However, on the same sized table I would prefer a smaller action with in scale buildings purely for the visual aspect, but that's just me.

Agree entirely but how else could you represent a grand battle?

I'm playing around with building sizes at the mo and have hit a similar problem :-\