Which battle do you have most books on?

Started by fsn, 23 December 2014, 10:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

holdfast

Slightly embarrassed to report, now that I have had 45 foot run of book shelves built in for the purpose of concentrating them from 6 sites throughout the house, that 40 feet of the shelves are occupied by ACW books. Of these, about 7 feet are Gettysburg which adds up to 58 books, since some are rather bulky. But then so are we all with advancing years.

Leman

Yes, I appear to have more Gettysburg than anything else, including a doorstop tome entitled 'Gettysburg July 1st' - with Antietam coming a close second.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Maenoferren

Quote from: Ithoriel on 03 January 2015, 04:09:20 PM
Got a couple of 2nd hand books from the local charity shops over the holiday period. Putting them on the bookshelves today I realised I do have a very slim volume on Waterloo, a tie-in with the 1970 film. Part of my purchases using the book tokens I got for winning the school History Prize and Poetry Prize. Nostalgia ... it ain't what it used to be :)
I have that one (well I think it is the same one :) )
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Leman

I believe there's another one out there that just covers July 2nd.

Subedai

I remember there were two books tied to the film that came out at roughly the same time. There was the slim one 'the field of Waterloo' by Paul Davies and the uniform guide by Ugo Pericoli titled '1815 The Armies at Waterloo' with a pic of Brit infantry on the cover with a smoke enshrouded La Haye Sainte(?) in the background. Both currently on the bookshelf.

Note: The book by Davies is a replacement picked up at a show because the first copy was ruined when I used the picture of Blucher as a basis for a clay figurine being made at school in 1970. I still have the figure, he has pride of place on the shelf along with busts of me made by two of my smalls at school and a rather more accurate depiction of Beethoven.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

mollinary

Quote from: Dour Puritan on 06 January 2015, 01:40:03 PM
I believe there's another one out there that just covers July 2nd.

If I recall correctly Harry Pfanz produced two doorstops on 2nd July, and a somewhat slimmer volume on Day 1. I think the true tome on day 1 is by David Martin, and a damn fine book it is too! All grace my groaning shelves, along with a legion of others on this battle.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Leman

Priest's is my favourite book on Antietam as it has marvellous maps showing the unfolding of the battle. This encouraged me to write my only "commercially" available scenario concerning the skirmish between the Bucktails and the Texas Brigade on the evening before Antietam, in the East Woods. It originally appeared in 'The Zouave.'

cameronian

Quote from: holdfast on 06 January 2015, 01:12:47 PM
Slightly embarrassed to report, now that I have had 45 foot run of book shelves built in for the purpose of concentrating them from 6 sites throughout the house, that 40 feet of the shelves are occupied by ACW books. Of these, about 7 feet are Gettysburg which adds up to 58 books, since some are rather bulky. But then so are we all with advancing years.

Presumably none of these shelves are more than 4` from the ground or do you stand on a box ... just asking.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Ithoriel

Quote from: Subedai on 06 January 2015, 01:54:11 PM
I remember there were two books tied to the film that came out at roughly the same time. There was the slim one 'the field of Waterloo' by Paul Davies and the uniform guide by Ugo Pericoli titled '1815 The Armies at Waterloo' with a pic of Brit infantry on the cover with a smoke enshrouded La Haye Sainte(?) in the background. Both currently on the bookshelf.

Yep, the one by Paul Davies is the one I have.

I discovered it next to "Mastering Witchcraft" by Paul Huson. Another of the books bought with the school prize money. Was pleasantly surprised to find I was allowed to choose this one!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

holdfast

Leman

Quote from: cameronian on 06 January 2015, 03:29:14 PM
Presumably none of these shelves are more than 4` from the ground or do you stand on a box ... just asking.
How rude!

holdfast

It's not Cam's fault. He was attached to the Gunners and it sort of rubbed off on him. Underneath he has real potential to be a decent human being.

cameronian

Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Fenton

Although I havent used books as hills on my wargames table for a long time we did use them for big and little round top a lot. So I would have to the say the book most used would have been Wisden as its quite thick
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Luddite

It was a surprise to me to find that when i looked, the battle i have most books on is Colenso.   :-\
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN