Which battle do you have most books on?

Started by fsn, 23 December 2014, 10:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

Probably the Normandy campaign followed by Arnhem. Most of my books cover WWII, so a lot of cross over of campaigns etc.

Westmarcher

Quote from: fsn on 23 December 2014, 10:46:57 AM
Any other battles that attract so much attention?

I knows a good idea when I see it - FSN
After Christmas I have a feeling it might be The Battle of The Bulge.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

paulr

Quote from: Westmarcher on 23 December 2014, 05:59:29 PM
I used to have a book on Pearl Harbor. Will this do instead?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcSMaNlcDPs
:)

About as historically accurate as the Hollywood version ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Subedai

I don't have that many books on actual battles -2 each on Waterloo and Edgehill, 1 on Agincourt but I have a fair few on campaigns and specific periods ie 24 on the Mongols, 49 on the Napoleonic Wars including 9 on the 1815 campaign, 20 on the ECW, 7 on the ACW and so on. That is just what I have, over the years I have read a shedload of military books borrowed from the local library.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

fsn

Hmmmm ... Campaign of Waterloo / Battle of Waterloo - potato/potato, Tony Blair/War criminal.

Books about the "battle "usually contain something of the "campaign". It's like any book about Hastings requires Stamford Bridge and Fulford Gate for context.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

The only actual battle I have a book on is Borodino. Other than that it's a small pile of books about WW2 hardware and formations, mainly Eastern Front, and a similar sized pile about Ancient armies equipment and tactics, a still smaller pile of Napoleonics uniform books and odds and ends on the Rennaissance and World War 1.

Shocking admission for an ex-librarian really!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

T13A

Hi

Almost too embarrassed to admit but I just counted nineteen on Gettysburg (which includes several books on individual days of the battle). Have not counted the rest but probably Waterloo and Arnhem are second and third.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Westmarcher

Quote from: Westmarcher on 23 December 2014, 12:28:51 PM
Waterloo.

Yet I only have 2 books. But, if I may expand the question, I have read who knows how many, both fact and fiction. I used to have others and a Board Game. I still have Dr Peter Turcan's computer game(?) on Waterloo (and Austerlitz) for the Amiga.

Having read so many, I have been unable to raise any enthusiasm to acquire Bernard Cornwell's new book on the subject (sorry, Bernard, but I'm slightly sceptical that you will bring anything new to the table). Probably because I've read so many versions, and I needed a different perspective, my current favourite on the battle is Mark Adkin's Waterloo Companion. Another great thrill was visiting the battlefield itself.  8->

Now have 3 books on Waterloo (not counting campaigns, wars, London Underground maps, etc. where Waterloo is mentioned). Wife got me ..... Bernard Cornwell's Waterloo for my Christmas!  #-o Schadenfreude.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Jim Ando

Dien Bien Phu.

Re-read at least one once a year.

Jim.

Hertsblue

I have a lot of books on Kohima - something to do with the fact that it was our last year's convention game, I guess.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Ithoriel

Got a couple of 2nd hand books from the local charity shops over the holiday period. Putting them on the bookshelves today I realised I do have a very slim volume on Waterloo, a tie-in with the 1970 film. Part of my purchases using the book tokens I got for winning the school History Prize and Poetry Prize. Nostalgia ... it ain't what it used to be :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Bodvoc

I have about 150 books on King Arthur and his battles, does this count? (it was a phase I was going through).
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

kustenjaeger

Greetings

Probably Kursk - at least 7. 

Regards

Edward

Subedai

Update:
I now have 29 books on the Mongols,J J Saunders The History of the Mongol Conquests arrived on Christmas Day courtesy of my daughter. (I think I have now exhausted Amazon's Mongol offerings, but I shall check again before Father's Day just in case.) The other 4 were the various Osprey books that I had forgotten about.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!