Humbrol paints- any good?

Started by jchaos79, 18 November 2014, 05:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jchaos79

Hi,

I saw a beautiful painting style in a warhammer forum with an aspecto of pastel color. I was impressed, beautiful, and I asked and told me that he was using Humbrol.

I used Humbrol enamel in the 80... there were my first steps on painting, so I can not accurate tell If they are good or not, only remember they were thick/coarse paints and the smell of the Trementina.

I saw Humbrol have now a acrilyc range.

Any experience about this Humbrol paints? adhesion?, cover? color range? is it worth?

P.D. I use regularly Vallejo, Vallejo fantasy, GW, Rackham (rackham paints are spectacular)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Used them before and after they relaunched.

Shake well, mix well, good coverage, nicely opaque and last years.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

jchaos79

Quote from: mad lemmey on 18 November 2014, 07:10:06 AM
Used them before and after they relaunched.

Shake well, mix well, good coverage, nicely opaque and last years.

enamel or acrylics

NTM

Humbrol were the first acrylics I ever used. Coverage very good but found them to be very chalky at times. Not used them recently though.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ithoriel

About 30% of my acrylics are Humbrol, I've used them for years and like them but Vallejo have a bigger range of colours I'm looking for.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Subedai

I tried them years ago and like NIM found them to very chalky. Never used them since, much prefer Vallejo.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

jchaos79

sorry subadai , what does NIM  means?

petercooman

Quote from: jchaos79 on 19 November 2014, 09:21:28 PM
sorry subadai , what does NIM  means?

He means NTM, that'sthe guy that made this comment:

Quote from: NTM on 18 November 2014, 09:19:14 PM
Humbrol were the first acrylics I ever used. Coverage very good but found them to be very chalky at times. Not used them recently though.

fsn

Neatly Impacted Muscle
Naughty Ice Maiden
Never In Maidenhead
Nipples In Muscatel
Neural Implant Mandatory
Never Implement Mesoamericans
Nine Igloos Mangled
Not Ithoriel's Method
Nassau Invades Mainz!
Nightly Ingest Mushrooms
No, I Meant ...

Never Imply Madness - FSN
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Actually, he's a low-ranking soldier in several of Shakespeare's history plays; vindictive, foul-mouthed, self-righteous, ignorant, speaking a weird dialect distantly related to English. He should fit right in with some of us, not that I'm mentioning any names, *******, ***** *** ***, and I'm not naming you either, **********.

(Spelling has changed a bit, but that wasn't an issue for Elizabethans).
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

jchaos79

Ok guys, that is a lot of fun, but do not means the feedback about humbrol is close. I am considering buy some paints and I had read bad opinions in other forums (warhammer style) about humbrol, so your opinion is more valuable for me because I know you (in some way  :d) and I trust you more than warhammer addicted people, so please if someone have more feedback positive or negative is very valuable for me, then you can go on with the english humour,

thanks in advance and I hope I do not offend anyone of you.