Water effect

Started by jchaos79, 31 October 2014, 11:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jchaos79

I did a water base with the figure of Neptune, those that is emerging from the water. So I thouhgt, simple: the base would be blue. Then only need to use my new Vallejo Foam snow effect to simulate a kind of seafoam or waves.

Results are not as satisfactory as I wish... (I would upload a picture when I could)

Then, advices with water basing effects? tricks?

thanks in advance gentelmens.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Either you sculpt a frame and use water effect, setting him in, or sculpt milliputt like I did for my word War 2 ships.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

jchaos79

Any ideas for improvement ?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

01 November 2014, 08:24:05 AM #3 Last Edit: 01 November 2014, 08:26:09 AM by mad lemmey
Yes, but please do not take this as criticism of your amazing painting in the figure.
It looks too calm on the base. This is a huge figure emerging from the depths.
Think about how the water is being displaced.
If he is moving, there would be a wake, if he is surfacing there would be circular displacement in huge volumes. In my opinion, which does not count for much, there should be concentric rings of waves spreading out.

Think 'Clash of The Titans' 1981, or any Rat Harryhausen movie. Drips and splashes everywhere.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

I can see why you are not happy with the base. The figure is very well painted, and the idea is ace.

What Lemmy says above is very good advice.

I would add that the colour is too flat, and probably too blue, even for the Mediterranean sea. So mix in a few shades, of blue / greens. Some texture will help a lot. Once you have finished the texture and painted it, then give the water surface a gloss coat, to make it look wet!

If you have access to water effects by Vallejo or woodland scenics then this would give you both the texture and shine.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Leman

Woodland scenics produce a very good water effect basing material which can be moulded to show waves, splashes and ripples. Vallejo also produce a water basing material. Ripples which catch the light and have a light drybrush of white also look very effective. Lemmy's advice about splashes around the emerging figure and the sea being various shades of blue and green (if calm and sunny), or greys if it is a cloudy day, is also very pertinent.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

jchaos79

Great, thank you guys! I was quite stuck between the lazyness and the lack of direction.

Mad Lemmey gave me the direction and Fred 12df and Dour puritan the strengh to beat the lazyness. I need some some putty work and also work with colors (flat do not work). Unfortuantely I do not have water effects, and that it would be a perfect excuse to adquire them, but this month I made an order to Pendraken and also an order to Magister militum, so I am not willing to spend more in the hobby. So I should do something with the materials I have.

I will try something and then show around to get a feedback

Thanks for the help

FierceKitty

How about some seaweed draped over him?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Hertsblue

You can get the same ripple effect with ordinary decorating filler. Build the ripples up gradually, and when solid, paint the whole thing a very dark blue or green. Drybrush a lighter version of the base colour across the ripples, and when that is dry, drybrush white on to the very tips of the ripples. You may want to experiment with the technique before going for the real thing, however.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

fred.

Happy to help.

The water effects is a bit expensive but you get a lot, and it goes a long way, and looks good.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

jchaos79

jchaos79

Quote from: Hertsblue on 01 November 2014, 10:21:06 AM
You can get the same ripple effect with ordinary decorating filler. Build the ripples up gradually, and when solid, paint the whole thing a very dark blue or green. Drybrush a lighter version of the base colour across the ripples, and when that is dry, drybrush white on to the very tips of the ripples. You may want to experiment with the technique before going for the real thing, however.

I will try that, but I will risk and goes directly to the real thing... let's see what happens

thanks to all

jchaos79

I try with some green stuff to simulate water, that is the result

I also scratch my mairmaids unit

Suggestion or criticisim before I give a try with the paint.

I am not very self confident with the water effect  :-\

Anyway, only one unit of tritons and then I would finish the Poseidon n fishmen army

jchaos79

WTF.... I am just looking to the pictures, and I realize that I was thinking in the myth (ulyses in the boat and mairmaids in the shore) when made the unit, but for a game.... should the mairmaids look to the land not to the see... anyway I not going rebuilt the bases... I should focus in the water effect

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Yes, like both of those. When they're done they'll be great.