Painting Tartan in 10mm...

Started by mike40k, 30 July 2010, 04:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zbigniew

Quote from: clibinarium on 03 September 2010, 12:04:16 PM
Its true that red and green find themselves at opposite sides of the colour wheel, but really what I mean is that in this specific case i.e. a red line though a predominantly green tartan, the red gets lost at a distance, especially if the green is of quite a dark hue. If the red and green were equally present then there probably would be a high degree of contrast. To see what I should paint I find the tartan on the net and then stand far away from the monitor. I then want to paint an impression of what I see, in this case I was happy that just green was enough!

thanks Clib, I think I misunderstood you.
You are right about avoiding unnecessary detail at 10mm scale. I, for example, dont usually paint laces on the SYW cavalry saddles. After some observation I decided to have one strong colour on the saddles (for example French blue with strong highlight for French Heavy horse without any regimental lace)
I am going to paint Fraser's Scots for FIW in the future: I will try bright red dots on very dark red. Something like Pawel did but surely worse :)