Richard III

Started by Leman, 16 August 2014, 07:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Tonight (16/8/14) 9pm Channel 4 another programme on Richard III followed at 10pm on E4 (I think) an examination of Richard III's skeleton and the effects of his spinal deformity.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Leman

Sorry nfolks, I've cocked ghis up. Both programmes tomorrow at stated times, ie. Sunday 17th.

Techno

Leman

To Reiterate:  Sunday 17/8/14

9pm - Channel 4 - Richard III The New Evidence - an exploration of Richard III's deformities - did they affect him in battle?

10pm - More 4 - Richard III The Unseen Story - a behind the scenes look at the examination of Richard's remains

Hertsblue

That reminds me to put the recorder on.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Techno

Caught the first programme.

I found it really excellent !!....Even Mrs T enjoyed it (Probably because of the research done into how Richard III managed to get by with his spinal 'problems' in regards to his fighting ability,..... and from Mrs T's point of view....especially on horseback.) ;)

What I found so surprising was, that it was just about impossible to tell that the young chap (Dominic ?), who suffered from the almost identical spinal curvature as Richard, had any back problems when he was kitted out in the armour, especially.

Absolutely fascinating !! (It was also great how Dominic had always thought, that because of his back problems, there wasn't much he could attempt in the way of physical exertion. In the end it was "Hey...I never realized/knew I could do this sort of stuff"....Brilliant !)

Missed the second prog....But much to my surprise, the better half watched that as well and thought it was terrific too.

Great spot, DP. Thanks.

Cheers - Phil

Leman

Have just watched the first programme myself over lunch and thoroughly enjoyed it. I still can't understand how the BBC could have boggsed up The White Queen quite so badly with all the WoR expertise there is about.

Hertsblue

Finally got to watch both programs yesterday.  The second one was a repeat, originally shown at the time Richard's body was found. The first one was an eye-opener. And I agree entirely with Techno, once in armour and on horseback Richard would have been indistinguishable from a "normal" knight. I thought it was significant that the young man doubling as Richard (who for the benefit of anyone who hasn't seen the program, had the same twisted spine as the king) stated afterwards that the armour and high medieval saddle gave his back excellent support.

Once unhorsed, though, Richard was done for. His deformed rib-cage meant that his lung capacity, and therefore his stamina, was severely limited.           
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Leman

The history is going to need a bit of a rewrite considering his prowess on horseback vis-a-vis being knackered on foot. Also his change in diet after he became king seems to have affected him as well, which may explain why he managed on foot at Barnet and Tewksbury.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Just watched it, very cool.
A little simplified mehaps, but a well put together programme. Decent lancer too.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Last Hussar

They had 45 minutes to get the info across to the casual viewer.  I'm more pissed off at the last episode of 'New Tricks' which completely misrepresented how released prisoners are supervised in the community.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Leman

Good job the released prisoners weren't at Bosworth in The White Queen, double misrepresentation.