Hope you didn't feel too bad about the trim...? :(

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Roy

Quote from: Ace of Spades on 26 August 2014, 09:09:47 PM
Hope you didn't feel too bad about the trim...? :(

No. Not really.

More annoyed with myself if anything, for not researching enough. And also for not realising the need to research in the first place.

What you wrote served as a reminder to me, that I need to be more disciplined and it brought it home to me in what's necessary when painting historically based uniforms. You learn from your mistakes as they say, and I've lived and learned, here. But if it hadn't been for yourself pointing out to me that I was in the wrong, then I wouldn't of known. For that a big thank you.

I still disagree with you all, over the shoulder-to-shoulder basing, however  ;D We'll agree to disagree, no-doubt, over personal preference  :)
Rimmer: "Aliens."

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

Rimmer: "Well, we didn't use it all, Lister. Who did?"

Lister: "Rimmer, aliens used our bog roll?"

Ace of Spades

The shoulder to shoulder basing is also the historical thing to do... not much use leaving the trim of the jackets if you're then not going to base them historically, is there...? :d (So sorry, just had to push on a bit ;) )
I'm now working on  the Iron Brigade figures, the Sharpshooters and the Tiger Zouaves and although I have quite a bit of knowledge about ACW uniforms I still have to check for certain details; like the shoulderstraps on Berdan's Sharpshooters backpacks... I wasn't sure whether they should be black like the regular backpack straps (except those on some of the militia style 'hard'packs which were originally white of course) or in natural leather as I expected. It's the little things like that that drive a man insane... (especially if you've done 'em wrong and find out afterwards...)

Cheers,
Rob

Leman

I think Ginge may have a point about keeping it fun.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Roy

27 August 2014, 10:13:19 AM #19 Last Edit: 27 August 2014, 10:17:02 AM by gingerbhoy
Quote from: Dour Puritan on 27 August 2014, 08:56:06 AM
I think Ginge may have a point about keeping it fun.

A coping mechanism, for me. Otherwise, I'd just become obsessive and ill, and then give up on the project. Another reason why I'm not going to be purchasing lots of books or straying away from units I don't need for the scenario I'm (hoping) to recreate. Learning from my past mistakes and trying to be more controlled in the hobby, is another theme, for me, with this project.  

===

I'm hoping to get time to check out the other blogs on this board today. Slowly making my way through things on this forum.

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

FierceKitty

As I always say, When you walk in a storm, Hold your head up high....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ace of Spades

I guess keeping it fun is what a hobby should all be about indeed!
But having said that, and knowing myself, I always seem to wander off into the darkest corners of history's trivia jungle; but then again; that;s what I find fun :D
I started some 'fantasy' projects throughout the years to get away from the rivet counting and nit picking but in the end they always evolved into some semi-historical army; skeletons wearing detailed tartans, futuristic troopers based on German WW-2 uniforms and so on... I can't help myself. (Nor do I think anybody else can...)
For me personally the historical context and details are crucial but I can understand and respect other peoples motives and choices, don't worry! ;)

Cheers,
Rob

Roy

... I've been bad. I've been neglecting my Pendraken ACW project  :(

This month I'm taking part in the Zomtober & Orctober Fest blogging community events.

Next month, I, at least, will be taking part in the Naval November event (I can't call it just a blogging event, as I'm trying to get the Steve Dean Forum member's to paint stuff up and post the pictures in one Community topic in the Pictures section of that forum, and the Google+ community The Wargames Club for Gentlemen is offering it's support as well).

More info. on all the above can be found over on my blog. If people want to do a Pendraken Miniatures version of Naval November (pirates, marines, WW1 tanks etc, oh and any boats that there is) then I'm sure that could be sorted out on this forum.

Anyway, the reason why I'm posting - I'm growing a mustache for the Men's Health Charity thingy Movember. I don't know exactly what that's going to entail, though it will unleashed at the Boro wargames show (hopefully, by then it'll be of Mexican proportions!)

More info. to be found here ~
http://projectsolowargame.blogspot.co.uk/p/my-movember-mustache.html

As I said, no idea what I'm going to do, so feel free to offer suggestions ... Anybody saying I should go to the Boro show in fancy dress can go and sit on a stingy nettle  ;D