My Pendraken Blog Project - ACW

Started by Roy, 23 August 2014, 10:11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy

I'm still trying to figure out where it is I'm meant to be posting stuff on this forum, so in the meantime I'll just highlight the fact that I've started a new project (ACW battle of Raymond) and will be showing the progress over on my blog, here

http://projectsolowargame.blogspot.co.uk/

And just to get the ball moving, here's one of the first pics (from a blog post), showing what I purchased on my visit to Pendraken.

Obviously, the pic's just showing an infantry brigade placed on the bases, for me to see what it would look like and how to have the figure compositions.

Cheers. Roy
Rimmer: "Aliens."

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

Rimmer: "Well, we didn't use it all, Lister. Who did?"

Lister: "Rimmer, aliens used our bog roll?"

Leman

Time to lift that brush and get cracking then.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ace of Spades

I say put in some more 'shoulder to shoulder' is the order of the day ;)

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Look forward to seeing that progress. :)
Cheers - Phil.

Roy

Quote from: Ace of Spades on 23 August 2014, 10:26:27 AM
I say put in some more 'shoulder to shoulder' is the order of the day ;)

Cheers,
Rob

Quote from: mad lemmey on 23 August 2014, 10:41:43 AM
I would say denser too!

Just checked out some 10mm ACW units done this way, looked nice and realistic. But I've decided to not go for it (mainly due to costs) and stick with the four to a base look, which will hopefully allow for the paintjobs to be shown off. I suppose this is the reason why a lot of 28mm units are based so, and not shoulder to shoulder?

Anyway, cheers for the suggestion. It's appreciated.

Roy.

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

Womble67

Hi there looking forward to seeing this project progress

Take care

Andy

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ace of Spades

Quote from: gingerbhoy on 23 August 2014, 11:17:29 AM
Just checked out some 10mm ACW units done this way, looked nice and realistic. But I've decided to not go for it (mainly due to costs) and stick with the four to a base look, which will hopefully allow for the paintjobs to be shown off. I suppose this is the reason why a lot of 28mm units are based so, and not shoulder to shoulder? 
I think it's mainly about costs indeed and for some people it doesn't have to look like any actual historical formation; it should represent one and that's okay too!

Cheers,
Rob

Luddite

If cost is an issue, perhaps base them on 4 figs on 20x20 bases?
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Roy

Made a start, by painting up some artillery crew figures.

Thank you for your comments. The infantry may not be positioned as they currently are, after painting. There may also be scenery placed alongside, or in front, of the figures, too. I haven't decided yet.

QuoteWith the sculpts being so small I'm not bothering to show contrast layering, as it just makes the figures look messy and unfinished to my mind. I prefer the solid, cleanly and smoothly painted finish, as shown above.

I know that the reds on the back (mainly the bottom) are meant to be on the hemline of the coat, but it looks better as I've painted it, thanks to the blue 'framing' the contrasting colour. At least that's my take. Anyway, when they are all based and on the gaming table, as long as they look good, that's all that matters, in my opinion.
- taken from off my blog post, where the backs of the figures are displayed as well.

Ace of Spades

It may be a bit picky but since I'm painting the ACW figures now for the website photo's too I had to make a decision on what to do with the trim on the coats/jackets.
Historically the colored trim was not applied on the so called sackcoats; only on the shelljacket and the knee long frockcoat (with a few exceptions on full cuffs and collars in the Confederate army). I therefore choose to paint the trim only on the typical shelljackets and not on the sackcoats.
I didn't know if you were aware of this (and if you're bothered of course ;)) but I thought I'd better tell. Would be a pity if you try to do them as historically as possible and then find out afterwards...

They look splendid, even if you would do them without the trim!

Cheers,
Rob

Leman

As I understand it the longer the war went on the less trim there was to be seen. Exception would be the Heavy Artillery units used as infantry in 1864.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Roy

I beg your pardon, I meant to say that it is my preference in this style of painting over the more contrasting style.
There being nothing wrong with this fashion of painting and I have employed it myself in the past.
There is no right or wrong way to paint and each of us have our own methods and likes and dislikes.
Sorry if I caused any offence with my earlier post.

Quote from: Ace of Spades on 24 August 2014, 12:53:32 PM
It may be a bit picky but since I'm painting the ACW figures now for the website photo's too I had to make a decision on what to do with the trim on the coats/jackets.
Historically the colored trim was not applied on the so called sackcoats; only on the shelljacket and the knee long frockcoat (with a few exceptions on full cuffs and collars in the Confederate army). I therefore choose to paint the trim only on the typical shelljackets and not on the sackcoats.
I didn't know if you were aware of this (and if you're bothered of course ;)) but I thought I'd better tell. Would be a pity if you try to do them as historically as possible and then find out afterwards...

They look splendid, even if you would do them without the trim!

Cheers,
Rob

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of it (I'm only using photo's off google for reference), but truthfully I'm not that bothered. I just went along the route of whatever looks good, and thought having a bit of colour to the uniforms made it prettier.  ;D 

Techno

Those are coming along beautifully. 8)
Cheers - Phil

Roy

Cheers. Since been back and altered a couple of bits - yes, the red trim being one (just couldn't live with it). The 1st artillery base is finished and the 2nd is now to be based, so should be finished tomorrow. I'll photograph it and put the battery up in the relevant photo' section of the forum.

Once again, big thanks for the compliments and the helpful advice. Much appreciated  :-bd