Froeshwiller Project

Started by Leman, 07 June 2014, 11:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Well there's nothing like a new set of rules to get me firing on all cylinders again, after a week away in Italy at my daughters wedding. An excellent event, but I narrowly missed Solferino. Anyway, on return I downloaded a copy of the revised On to Richmond rules, and was intrigued to see how close the basing system is to my 60x30mm bases and that it has a very simple conversion to the FPW. As a consequence out came the box of unpainted Prussians and today I have temporarily based and then primed enough for 6 bases of Prussians plus 20 casualty markers:

I did the priming with Vallejo white primer by brush. Once dry I gave the chaps a wash of Miniature Paints black Primer:

Not bad for a day's work. Tomorrow I'll get the first colours on them.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Steve J

Always nice when a new project gets the creative juices flowing. I look forward to seeing more updates soon (ish).

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Good to see some more FPW in progress, must get back to mine!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ric

I've never seen this type of painting technique before (starting with a white undercoat/black wash) , I look forward to seeing the end result!

Hertsblue

Quote from: mad lemmey on 08 June 2014, 08:35:53 AM
Good to see some more FPW in progress, must get back to mine!

Yeah, reminds me I've still got an 1866 Austrian infantry brigade and an entire Prussian division to finish. (sob!)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Leman

Sunday saw the painting of trousers. I started with a strip of Vallejo red on the legs then painted Vallejo black grey to either side to give as thin a red stripe as i could get on a 10mm model. I was really looking for an impression as much as anything, as in reality the red welt is very, very thin, except for senior officers. Next came the blue coat. This is a tricky one for 1870 Prussians. Prussian blue looks wrong, especially as I was trying to get an approximation of the colour depicted by Alphonse de Neuville in his FPW paintings. What seems to work for me is Vallejo Oxford Blue. It in itially has a purplish hue when first applied but dries to a darkish blue hue. Once this was done I applied the first colour to the face, Vallejo Beige Brown:

This photo isn't brilliant, but it does show that position of guns, bayonet scabbards, etc. can reduce the amount of trouser welt painting needed. I've also cut down the number of figures photoed. I'll show the whole lot once they're based up and ready to go. Part of this exercise is to find out how long that will take, given I need 50 infantry bases alone for the Prussians in this scenario. Now to press on with collars and cuffs whilst enjoying a Francoise  Hardy fest.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Coat d'arms Deadly Nightshade, black wash, then highlight. Use it on all of mine, brilliant colour.

I pipe red with a OO after and then touch up.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

Spent about three and a half hours on the little blighters today painting collars, cuffs and strapping. Only three colours used: black, white and red, but it seemed to take forever. Then again I am tackling a bunch of just over 100 figures. Made a few slips which can be corrected later. Also I had to make sure I did enough with black belting to represent a fusilier battalion:

mollinary

Quote from: Dour Puritan on 09 June 2014, 10:28:11 PM
Also I had to make sure I did enough with black belting to represent a fusilier battalion:

Good stuff, so often neglected. Remember,of course, that this corps contains a Fusilier Regiment, so that is three more battalions to add to the other 7!   ;) :D

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Leman

When this corps is completed it will contain 50 60x30mm bases. This current batch is just IR 58. There will also be two bases of jagers plus the attendant artillery and the two dragoon regiments. Good job I've already got some French done. BTW I have asked a friend of mine to try and pick up the Napoleonic flags at Phalanx as I can't go this year owing to the show being moved from third to second Saturday of the month (my walking club day). Thanks very much for the heads up on the flags for 5th corps.

mollinary

Wow!  So how does these rules work then? That would be two bases per battalion, do they operate independently or as a regiment or brigade?   There seem to be about 28 figures a battalion?  I am sure I have a copy of the original set of rules  somewhere, I must get it out. Final (!?) question.  What is the Siamese twin figure in the front rank - not sure I have seen it before?

Mollinary

Leman

The figure is a bit of a naughty, i.e. Irregular WWI infantryman supporting a wounded Uhlan. Thought it would make a good cavalry disruption marker. The rules are On to Richmond, which are brigade based. In the FPW variant a six base unit represents a Prussian regiment. One lucky regiment will become 8 bases when it gets the jagers. A French brigade is represented by 8 bases. In the original rules a brigade has a standard setting of 6 bases but can be up to 10. A FPW cavalry brigade can be between 6 and 8 bases and an artillery base (same base width) represents 12 guns. I will operate mitrailleuses as half bases.

mollinary

Wrong again, I seem to have a copy of every set of ACW rules published in the last thirty years, apart from that one! :(

It sounds interesting though,  so I will see if I can get a copy.   Thanks for sparking the interest.

Mollinary

Leman

Download from Scale Creep Miniatures, $15 and of course no postage.