2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

WeeWars

← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

Ithoriel

I've got a Zvezda Sturmovik and a Revell Aircobra for my WW2 Russians - no problems assembling them.

I picked up a pair of CanDo 1:144 Ju87-G2 "Stuka" Kanonenvogel for £3 each from EBay. They're ready assembled and painted. Only problem I have is the BKC II lists only let me field one per battlegroup :)  Not a problem with the group I'm currently playing with. We regularly wind up with a couple to many of this or an odd extra of that. No one cares providing no one is taking the p***.

Plastics are my preference as metal aircraft can be a bit top heavy.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

WeeWars

Quote from: Ithoriel on 22 October 2013, 11:31:58 PM
Plastics are my preference as metal aircraft can be a bit top heavy.

Do you base them as airborne?

I'm interested in available WW1 1:144 aircraft.
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

GrumpyOldMan

Hello WeeWars

There are the Shapeways 3d printed aircraft https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=ww1+1%2F144, however you might want to look at reviews and techniques for dealing with the printed nylon material. Some people don't like the look and others don't care. Some sites to look at:-

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=291384
http://theminiaturespage.com/news/1277045824

Probably best for unusual or hard to get aircraft.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Ithoriel

There used to be regular WW1 dogfight games played at SESWC using rules devised by Jim Duncan and Iain Holt (iirc).

Most of the stuff used was the Red Eagle range http://www.redeagleminiatures.co.uk/ww1%20air.html which was produced by Skytrex back in those days.

Assembled and painted quite a few for either personal use or financial gain! Beautiful little models once complete. Utter purgatory to assemble with all of the struts the get in the right place and at the right angle without glueing yourself to either the model or the table.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Hertsblue

Quote from: WeeWars on 23 October 2013, 12:31:32 AM
Do you base them as airborne?

I use the Zvesda stands as supplied. By using miniature rare-earth magnets you can use any make of model and swap them around at will. Also makes them much easier to transport, especially if you line your carrying box with self-adhesive magnetic sheets.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Sunray

I use the base stands like Hertsblue, but also glue two 5mm lengths of thin wire (stapes will do nicely) to the wheel positions.  It allows the option of the planes being parked at dispersal or on an airfield.  I first used the system with H&R 1/300 aircraft and just scaled it up.

I have to say that unless the airfield is attacked, parked aircraft is just eye candy for the aging wargamer.  I use BKC rules and aircraft have a cameo role at best.  All you need is a few types in 1.144 to deliver the "airborne artillery". 

I like to have them painted up, sitting on a strip adjacent to the table to deliver their bombloads- but then I am the volunteer who once scratch build a carrier in 1/150 with angled flight deck and lifts for the same notion.( Vietnam game)  Its still in the garage.  Must blow the dust off it and re-commission for post war police duties now we have Techno's amazing range of  1980s modern to play with.

Ithoriel

I use GW round bases with thinnish clear plastic rod, as shown.

Bases still need "landscaped." I tend to add a few washers to weight down the base, coat that with pollyfilla and then add flock, corpses, wrecks or ruins to taste.

Sunray

Nice images Ithoriel, thanks for sharing.  The washers mean that you can get away with a modest sized base.