What's crazy, impractical and bigger than a Maus...

Started by Leon, 02 December 2013, 02:55:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

A Ratte of course!  A few lucky folk at the Warfare saw this one in the flesh, and the amount of interest it generated from passers-by was incredible.  It's a huge model, around 24cm long I think, so somewhere near 120 ft in real life.  It will have to be cast in resin of course, and should be making an appearance early next year sometime.

And next to a T-55 as well:

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno

How far did they ever get on the construction of one of these ?
I never knew anything that size was even planned !
You live and learn ! :)
Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ithoriel

Never got beyond the planning stage Phil.

Huge, slow and requiring vast resources to develop and build - all the things the Third Reich didn't need in a tank!

The Germans only just managed to build one-and-a-half* "Maus" tanks, which were monsters themselves but a fraction of the size of this beast.

When the Russians captured the wrecked remains of the two "Maus" they decided to fit the one completed turret to the other hull as this would give the most complete version of the vehicle. It took six "Famo" (GR179 Sdkfz 9 'Famo') just to move the turret! Dealing with the logistics of the "Ratte" would have been a nightmare and as soon as it was spotted the Allied airforces would have bombed it flat. Completely impractical.

As well as the 1000-tonne P-1000 "Ratte" there was the 140-tonne E-100 "Tiger-Maus" which was basically to be a King Tiger with a Maus turret. One partial prototype was as far as the E-100 got.

Presumably the German design teams went on to design the ludicrous vehicles beloved of Sci-Fi wargames like those developed by the EE :-)

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

While all sorts of bizarre real troops never get into production....  :(
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

Goliath - number built (all versions) c.7500

203 mm howitzer M1931 (B-4) - number built 871

Ratte - number built 0

Jus' sayin' :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Fenton

02 December 2013, 10:31:25 AM #7 Last Edit: 02 December 2013, 10:36:18 AM by Fenton
I hate to be critical. but it does seem to be a bit of a waste of time...I suppose 28mm gamers could use it for SciFi
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Rob

I cannot understand why the Germans didnt spot the obvious problem of the need for 18' tall crew.  :-\

Fenton

Quote from: Rob on 02 December 2013, 10:35:39 AM
I cannot understand why the Germans didnt spot the obvious problem of the need for 18' tall crew.  :-\

Maybe that was the next step in their flawed plan for the Aryan Race
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Fenton

A friend of mine who does 28mm SciFi is asking how much it will be

kustenjaeger

Greetings

It was entertaining to see at Warfare but I suspect it may well be SF gamers in larger scales who might buy one. 

Regards

Edward

NTM

I toyed with the idea of using the 15mm one from Forged in Battle for Sci fi games

Hertsblue

I'm dreading the day when one of the kids at our club turns up with one and wants to join in. What can you say to him?
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Techno

"We have a special rule at the club for those ?"  :P ;D ;D ;D ;D
Cheers - Phil.