WWII rules for 10mm?

Started by Baker Boy, 11 November 2012, 08:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikharwood

BKC from me (shock, horror, hold the front page etc etc  ;))

Orcs

BKC they work really well , but take the lists with a pince of salt. - ie for Belgians you can field 3 ACG of the 10 belgian posessed but still only 3 of the T13 when they had approx 250.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

kustenjaeger

Greetings

I'm another user of BKC and IABSM.

Quote from: mart678 on 12 November 2012, 06:22:30 PM
There is also Command Decision the original or second edition then you can field Divisions on the table

Have to be a big table and lots of players - I was pushed to command more than a short brigade using CD2 or CD3.  Must get round to using CD-TOB with my 10mm Ostfront.

Another possibility is Battlefront WW2 (no relation to Flames of War) which is at an intermediate level i.e. 1 model = 2-3 vehicles/guns and each stand of infantry is a squad.  Ground scale is 1 inch = 40 yards for 15mm (and I'd use the same for 10mm as the nominal scale is too cramped for me in 15mm).   You can of course use BKC for this level as well if you want with the 1cm = 10m scale.

Regards

Edward

Sunray

I have gamed with a lot of rules since the 1970s.  In my humble opinion BKC is an accurate reflection as to how post 1940s fire fight weapons/comms  impact on the killing ground.

Since WW2 one can generally say (Japanese and certain Russian units apart) that when under supressive  fire, troops go to ground and tend to stay there.
Signals fail and battlefield management is messy. 

And yes, I have tweaked CWC for different AFVs as the listing is just a wee bit generic.

I have to say that some gamers love unreal carnage.  If that's your taste then go for some of the wilder rules.

Sunray out

Blaker

I would say BKC. I teach middle school kids wargaming classes with that rule set and they have tons of fun with it. They build their own battle groups with Pendraken minis and learn to paint them.

Sunray

Quote from: Blaker on 14 November 2012, 02:29:45 AM
I would say BKC. I teach middle school kids wargaming classes with that rule set and they have tons of fun with it. They build their own battle groups with Pendraken minis and learn to paint them.

This man needs encouragement !  I had no idea that our 10mm hobby had reached the classroom.  It really made my day to read this.   Please tell us more of how you managed to get wargaming into schools.

Sunray out

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Tell me too (as a teacher, I'm fascinated)!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

ronan

yes !
we want to know ! It will be very interesting !

Baker Boy

Thanks for the reccomendations.  I think I'll give FoW a miss, but BKC and IABSM sound like contenders.  I will read up on them both and see.  If anybody could advise me of any reviews that would be a great help.  Thanks.

Sunray

Gordon

Sorry ! My interest in "10 mm in the classroom" may have highjacked the thread to some extent.

Is it worthy of its own thread  topic ?

Sunray out

Albie Bach

See the first article here for a review of BKC 2
http://www.wfhgs.com/PDFFILES/wo28.pdf.
The review is followed by a BKC 2 battle report.

Cheers, Colin
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (2018)

ronan

Quote from: Sunray on 14 November 2012, 04:51:41 PM
Sorry ! My interest in "10 mm in the classroom" may have highjacked the thread to some extent.

Is it worthy of its own thread  topic ?

I think so.

There was a "light version" of BKC ( BKC 1 ) you should read it. That's how I bought BKC2 ;-)
http://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wargamer.pl%2Fdownloads%2FBKC-Lite.pdf&ei=1uWjUIKAH9SwhAeD7ICIDA&usg=AFQjCNF_UOt13l-0w-cm947yNUTAjGShkw
( I hope this url will work, or google "bkc lite" )

GordonY

14 November 2012, 10:47:03 PM #28 Last Edit: 14 November 2012, 10:49:54 PM by GordonY
Ronan BKC (1) isnt that, 1st edition was in a green cover and was more like CWC and FWC with # and * on some weapons, but was a fully fledged book with army lists and some bits that were missed out of BKC II, like the campaign system. But I'm glad that BKC Lite is still doing the rounds pulling more and more people into the one true scale.  :D

and your link does work  :)

Sunray

See a dedicated thread in General discussion.

Sunray out