Markers in your games

Started by OldenBUA, 16 August 2011, 02:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What type of markers would you LIKE to use in your games?

Anything! Dice, counters, tiddlywinks, Smarties.
18 (69.2%)
Only markers that blend in with the terrain.
5 (19.2%)
Properly painted and based models.
3 (11.5%)
Nothing! I write it all down. Markers are the devils invention!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: 23 August 2011, 02:31:21 PM

OldenBUA

16 August 2011, 02:31:21 PM Last Edit: 16 August 2011, 02:34:36 PM by OldenBUA
We didn't have a poll for some time, and I'm curious.

Besides, I'm doing a little market research for Leon here  ;)

In many games you need to know the status of a unit/model. What (if anything) do you use to mark casualties, ammo limits, morale etc?
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Arsenus

Most of the time, I used anything but sometimes I used markers from the game I'm playing!^^
The shadow of a man can never stand up and walk on its own.

https://arsenus.blogspot.fr/

republic of tolworth

Ah-ha a trick question ;D

What I use and what I would like to use are two different things.

I do use some figures, but dice or plastic counters get used. And scapes of paper :-[
League of the dayglow Aztec Empire.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Got some proper ones - ie Charge, Impettuos, rout etc for 6th Ancients, use dice for Warmaster/BKC/CWC/FWC, made some triangles for Black Powder, as can then use em with several scales.

In Battlegroup or similar 1-1 tank games made shed loads of burning tank markers, and I have made even more bunkers and trenches also minefields.

Smoke type markers might be useful, but i suspect trenches are more of an individual taste, depends on base size......

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

DaveH

Usually whatever I have that is available, but I do like systems where you can use figures as a marker to improve the look of a game - Fire & Fury is an example.

lentulus

Dice and "bingo markers" -- roughly 1/2"  translucent plastic disks in various colors.

Hertsblue

You don't say what kind of markers. I never use casualty markers - I don't play a set of rules that need 'em. Point-of-aim markers are plastic counters that can be marked with a spirit pen. Barrage area markers, burning vehicle markers etc are aquarium floss usually with a splash of red and yellow flame. Dice also get used when there's nothing better to hand.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

kustenjaeger

Greetings

BKC - different coloured mini-dice for hits and suppression; black smoke for vehicle kills; model emplacements where possible for dug in; square or circular acetate for artillery
SYW - in process of building forces and have bought AWI casualties to use.
IABSM - specially designed clear markers from Litko for different states and coloured dice for kills/shock/wounds on a section

Regards

Edward

Duke Speedy of Leighton

16 August 2011, 08:30:53 PM #8 Last Edit: 16 August 2011, 08:32:31 PM by mad lemmey
It depends which rules I am using, erm...
Wine gums for rerolls for my Bloodbowl rerolls, terrain matched casulty markers for 10mm Black Powder, Homemade-double-sided-laminated status markers for Volley & Bayonet, custom designed markers for ship status for space games, hole reinforcements double backed for shaken markers and purpose made terrain type markers in POW, tiddly-winks or the like for various others, FOW own for FOW etc...

Now I'll be routinely laughed at...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Squirrel

As others have said, it depends on the rules, but the important thing for me is to keep them small and unobtrusive. I want to see them when I'm looking for them, not have them dominate the table.

Cheers,

Kev

nikharwood

Quote from: Squirrel on 16 August 2011, 09:20:41 PM
As others have said, it depends on the rules, but the important thing for me is to keep them small and unobtrusive. I want to see them when I'm looking for them, not have them dominate the table.

Cheers,

Kev

Absolutely - same for me Kev

OldenBUA

Quote from: republic of tolworth on 16 August 2011, 02:44:02 PM
Ah-ha a trick question ;D

What I use and what I would like to use are two different things.

OK, let's make the question "What would you LIKE to use as markers in your games" You can vote again, if you want!

Quote from: Hertsblue on 16 August 2011, 06:20:50 PM
You don't say what kind of markers.

The markers that people use will depend on the game that is being played. And since there are so many game systems, I only gave some samples.

Quote from: mad lemmey on 16 August 2011, 08:30:53 PM
Wine gums for rerolls

At least these are easily disposed of.  :D

Quote from: Squirrel on 16 August 2011, 09:20:41 PM

Category II there then: Markers that blend in.

So far the trend seems to be Category I: 'Anything goes'. Maybe for most people it will also depend on the rest of the layout? If you have beautifully sculpted and modelled terrain, you don't want dice and tiddlywinks lying about? If you have pieces of felt and so on, it's less important?
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Leman

In FPW the casualty figures and dead horses as made by Pendraken. Magister Militum do some nice wrecked guns and limbers in their ACW range. Cotton wool smoke is also very useful. In SYW Pendraken AWI casualties and Irregular C18th casualties.
DP
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Le Manchou

For me, markers for the rules 1870:
It would be a white thick square for orders with an arrow for advance, a CH for charge, an R for reorganize
status markers: a disorder marker (yellow triangle), a routing marker (Red triangle)
losses markers: 1, 2, 3, 4 losses markers (circular).
In wood would be the best but plastic would work fine too.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

DanJ

In WMA I use mini dice for casualties and cotton wool for confusion.  There is something very satisfying about dropping a wad of cooton wool on top of an opponent's unit.

For WW1 I use coloured counters as there are a number of different things to keep track of.